OT: Back

Apart from the fingerprinting, it's no different at all IME.
--

Mike P
92 Mazda MX-5

Well, that was my point, sort of :).
--
'88 Porsche 911 Targa '90 Volvo 740 estate - turbod slushy
'92 Eunos Roadster Turbo
DervMan wrote:

Do you routinely lift weights of over 32kg over your head in enclosed spaces? Even if you do, would you expect others to do so for you?
I feel pretty certain that your luggage is treated the same way the world over once it disappears from your view up the belt and through the hole at the check-in desk.
--
Douglas

Ah I forgot you knew a lot more about this these days :-) I personally feel the shocking UK baggage handling rep comes solely from the London airports...
--
Dan B
<empty parking space>

LOL!
Maybe. When we go from the UK to the USA, our baggage arrives almost exactly as it leaves.
When we go from the USA to the UK, it arrives bashed, scuffed, covered in sticky black stuff, all of the above, or sometimes a few days afterwards.
It's a trend only broken the last time Charlie had to go out, when her suitcase ended up in Cardiff, or somewhere off the face of the planet, and took another day to arrive.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

It's a personal vendetta against you and your family.
I haven't had issues with baggage going AWOL or being damaged, and don't know many people who actually have.
I fly with a soft 'kit bag', as does Mrs H, even delicate items like jars of honey and radios survive intact.
www.italiancar.co.uk - Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:31:09 +0000, SteveH wrote:

I wonder if there's an element of 'that's a Samsonite, built to take it' as against 'soft canvas bag, better give it a soft landing'?
PCPaul wrote:

In my experience, perhaps there is an element of that. Nobody in the baggage hall wants to burst your bag or its contents, trying to tidy up someone's smalls and close an obviously buggered zip is just embarassing and leaves you open to allegations of theiving.
--
Douglas

Luggage issues do seem more frequent, but not exclusive to and from the US, although we've never had a problem, I know a few people who have. My auntie and uncle had their luggage lost on the way from Malaysia to the UK a few years back, never got it back and they had a few rather not-cheap little statues and ornament type things in there. I can't really rememebr what it was they said they suspected had happened, I'm sure it was a theft thing and they had some pretty compelling reasons/evidence for thinking this, but as I say, it was a few years back and I probably wasn't listening to them anyway as they do tend to prattle on :-)
--
Dan B
<empty parking space>
DervMan wrote:

I know of people who will kick the wheels off heavy bags with the attitude that "If they expect me to carry it, the owner can carry it too.". I don't really approve of the sentiment but there are times when I understand it.

Because the UK handlers take care of it and put it in the right part of the plane so it ends up at reclaim in the right country for your pleasure?

Cos the far superior US handlers kick the shit out of it, drag it through the tar pits then put it in the baggage container due for transfer to Bogota?
I don't know where the damage to your luggage happens, but there are a lot of factors.
When I did manual handling at a Supermarket it was absolutely forbidden to lift anything over 20kg IIRC. Suppliers obliged by not making single packages more than that so the risk of employees claiming compensation from the company was reduced.
32kg is quite a lot. The holds of aeroplanes are not very good lifting technique friendly.

Baggage handling is one of the few things I can think of, especially at airports, which is still labour intensive and done by hand. People are the weak link I guess.
--
Douglas

It's around the weight of a 32" CRT television.
I don't like lifting those single-handed.
www.italiancar.co.uk - Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

I take it you've never been to Atlanta? The baggage handling was shit, one case got badly damaged and one got lost. That was me, in March. In Sept when the wife came back from Bogota via Miami, both her bags got badly damaged
--

Mike P
92 Mazda MX-5
Mike P wrote:

My Sister is a saxophonist and during periods when it's not possible or legal to take her instrument in the cabin, has had her saxophone damaged in airports all over the place. Airport staff were rudest about it in the states.
--
Douglas

Yeah, we've flown Delta. Once was enough. ;-)

Hmm. Might be very much location specific then. London Heathrow, Atlanta, are pits.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Agreed with that, US customs may be a chore, but they're at least friendly - and we are the foreigners entering, I hear if you're a non-EU person, or even non-UK, the customs stuff and people here are shocking for a country known for politeness (foreigners have old ideas, that are unfortunately getting less accurate by the day :-( ). And those photos that they take, you couldn't identify a mega star with a photo that crap heh!
Let's not even start on UK baggage handlers...
--
Dan B
<empty parking space>

Absolutely. Charlie has a US passport in her maiden name with a "married name change" sticker thing on a page and her marriage visa on another page. She's supposed to go down the foreign johnny lane and I get to wave my passport and sail through the Brits lane. Any or all of the following happen if she enters with her US passport.
"This passport isn't in the right name!" <Look at page 23> "Are you here to work?" <Look at page 17> "Where is your husband?" <Look over there>
If she *dares* come with me, she's told to push off back to where she belongs in the other queue. Then the above three questions are asked. If I go with her, I'm told to go through my line; see the third question above.
Much, much easier with her brand new EU / UK passport.

Heh.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

I never had a problem..
--

Mike P
92 Mazda MX-5

Yes, my father, RAOC Yugoslavia, 1946-1948.

We've only just finished paying for it.

But wouldn't provide AWACS for us.
Officially sat on the fence politically in case it hurt their own relationship with Latin America.

Americans believe they play much more important roles in major conflict than they did.
Because that's what Hollywood tells them they did.

Erm, no. It's the whole basis for starting wars they have no right to start.
www.italiancar.co.uk - Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

Wny not? Millions of Brits went on holiday to Spain and ignored/didn't notice the fact that they were having a holiday in a fascist dictatorship where dissidents were taken away and had their heads beaten to pulp.
People are very good at ignoring the bad while they are on holiday. There are many places I can't go on holiday because all I can see is disease, grinding poverty and misery that I can't do anything to alleviate. Yet others are quite happy to go to third world pest-holes for a holiday, "because it's cheap".

Heh, too true. I hate Spain, I can't see why people move there from here at all. If you just want a cheap holiday, with hot sun and a beach and aren't into the whole good food and nice surroundings thing, then Spain probably makes sense. Moving there though? Deliberately choosing to move to a country that is so far behind ours in every way (except hot sun time heh), and is filled with some of the most horribly racist, facist scum in the world makes no sense to me. Also, big chunks of Spain are very 3rd world, no running or even clean water, no electricity, one phone in the village...
Even worse though, are the areas people that call themselves ex-pats, who wanted to move to Spain, so chose the area where Brits living there outnumber the Spanish 10 to 1 (not that bad-a thing really...), the restaurants are all Brit food as are the shops etc. The only difference is it's warmer most of the time, you can't drink the water, you can't get broadband and if you have an accident you're better of dragging yourself home to the UK, even if you;re bleeding heavily because the health care is second to Paraguay...
--
Dan B
<empty parking space>