OT: Back

LOL!

Maybe. When we go from the UK to the USA, our baggage arrives almost exactly as it leaves.

When we go from the USA to the UK, it arrives bashed, scuffed, covered in sticky black stuff, all of the above, or sometimes a few days afterwards.

It's a trend only broken the last time Charlie had to go out, when her suitcase ended up in Cardiff, or somewhere off the face of the planet, and took another day to arrive.

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah, we've flown Delta. Once was enough. ;-)

Hmm. Might be very much location specific then. London Heathrow, Atlanta, are pits.

Reply to
DervMan

Absolutely. Charlie has a US passport in her maiden name with a "married name change" sticker thing on a page and her marriage visa on another page. She's supposed to go down the foreign johnny lane and I get to wave my passport and sail through the Brits lane. Any or all of the following happen if she enters with her US passport.

"This passport isn't in the right name!" "Are you here to work?" "Where is your husband?"

If she *dares* come with me, she's told to push off back to where she belongs in the other queue. Then the above three questions are asked. If I go with her, I'm told to go through my line; see the third question above.

Much, much easier with her brand new EU / UK passport.

Heh.

Reply to
DervMan

Where the chuff would you launch and recover the AWACS from?

The British aircraft carriers* were not able to launch and recover the Viking. The E-3 Sentry would be operating at extreme range from the closest US base requiring considerable additional resources *and* represent one big fat vulnerable target. Because it wouldn't just mean the 707 Sentry, but necessary spares, tankers, escorts.

Oh, you must have meant the Shackleton? Yes, because that was a state of the art aircraft with no inherant design flaws right from the start, eh? Never mind the blind spots caused by the propellers, we'll just keep changing course.

Do you even know the logistics involved in setting up the base at Ascension?

How about the loan of an aircraft carrier. Just a small one. Quadruple the aircraft the British armed forces had available for the campaign.

You're writing about something you appear to know nothing about. It isn't as though the niner lima was a readily available product at the time. And it isn't as though the British were jumping up and down to get their hands on it before the conflict. As it happens the weapon probably had a far more significant impact than almost any other subtle event, with the possible exception of the civilian BAe employees along to "fine tune" Sea Wolf.

[soap box]

As a brilliant example of the buffoons in charge of the British armed forces, Typhoon has been crippled by the gun being deleted. How is the RAF going to warn a bogey off their course? Fly alongside and shake their fist?

[/soap box]

*carriers in the vaguest sense of the word.

You believe that Americans believe their role in global conflict is more important than it really is. But why you're writing about major conflicts is beyond me because we were discussing the Falklands Island conflict.

What newspaper did you get that ideas from?

LOL.

Reply to
DervMan

the boot in the mini takes the piss a bit really, my MK1 MR2 had a bigger boot and that had to leave space for an engine too! still never really used the boot, that's why the lock in my BMW's boot stayed broken for like 18 months lol

Reply to
Vamp

Don't they make high seat chairs?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

LMAO that's probably to help the mafia with there tax returns. part of being politically correct i guess

Reply to
Vamp

guy that owns the place where i work is a millionaire and must be in his

70's or close to it now. he still works 9am to god knows, i leave at 6pm most nights and his car is still there. he even still comes in on saturdays!
Reply to
Vamp

move somewhere less pikey with better reception ;)

Reply to
Vamp

Happened twice in the Cotswolds today.

Usually happens up in mid-Wales, too.

And randomly on the M5.

I blame T-Mobile.

Reply to
SteveH

Always a good start. And yes, I'm also on T-Mobile...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I deal with all the networks, in my experience there's O2 and Voda, then everyone else when it comes to coverage - Orange have improved the most with T-Mobile being the poor relation of the original networks. 3 is good in cities though.

Orange is my choice overall though for actually having a proper customer support system (albeit only for premier customers), O2 is nearly as good.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

T-Mobile have the best and cheapest data packages, which is why I've stuck with them.

Although I'm weighing up iPhone specific deals from O2 at the moment, so I can get EDGE coverage.

Reply to
SteveH

That would be the Mercury.

Reply to
Elder

This is the one true way to eat clams:

SteveH

Sounds like a week on cocodamol for me. And I understand the basketball team comparison.

I find a pint of prune juice to wash down the pain pills sort of balances it.

Reply to
Elder

I have the hatred for T-mobile real bad, 'cos they're lying thieving liars. Sometimes, when they're not stealing from you, they lie as well. Then nick your wallet.

Reply to
DanB

like having a cavalier and asking how to fit neons....

Reply to
Vamp

When you get away from the people and populated/cultivated areas, America is a beautiful country. Whether it's worth the hassle involved in getting in is of course subjective, but flying through the grand canyon, clambering up half-dome and ice-climbing on Mount Washington are things which I'll remember for a long time.

Reply to
albert T Cone

But here we can also fly down the Grand Canyon (France), climb up any number of mountains (Alps, Apenines, Jura etc.) and visit raging active volcanoes. All without having to leave civilisation.

I'm still bemused why people flock to the USA. The only reason I can think of is that they speak a variety of English.

Reply to
Steve Firth