OT: broadband

Moving house in the next couple of months so will need to set up my own broadband account. What are people's recommendations. I dont need huge limits, as I only really use the connection for emails/browsing. Just want something that is reasonably quick (512k is fine) and reliable.

Cheers

-- Carl

-------

1984 Toyota MR2 1.6 16v 1995 Mazda MX5 1.8 S
Carl Gibbs

Ive just migrated from Hi-velocity to Nildram, 23.99 for 2mb capped to 50Gb a month, if your near an exchange go for it, they are one of the best ISP's in the country and I have tried loads trust me :)

Reply to
Ronny

I moved to Pipex about a year ago, and it's been faultless. One thing that may or may not appeal is that you can set up the connection from any platform. Since then, and registering my own domain for e-mail, I've had as near as dammit no spam or worms, etc, and decent news group download speed with no outages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's in BT land then Metronet is your best bet - got a few accounts with them they charge a minimum fee + usage to a maximum cap.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

eclipse adsl

Theo

I'll definitely keep that in mind. From all the kerfuffle about high-usage users, I definitely think capped connections are the way to go - that way the ISPs don't promise the earth and find it hard to deliver.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I was in exactly the same boat a few weeks back, and my research concluded that Demon were about the best around. 512K account is £20 a month, free connection and free modem. I went for the 1MB static-IP account, for £30 a month.

Nildram and PlusNet were the other two that made it to the shortlist, but ~£70 setup fee meant they both fell at the first hurdle.

Reply to
Nom

seconded

Reply to
Vamp

I get 2Mb unlimited fixed IP for £32 a month.. bwahhaahaa ;-)

Reply to
Bigus

same, I got the flex capability so I can bump it right up if i need to.

Reply to
Theo

I've been using Fast4 after defecting from Bulldog and they're good. They have premium rate support phone line you can use their online ticketing system which is efficient helpful and free. Plus they'll phone you back if needs be if you used the ticketing system. They have 0845/0870 support for the first month.

You get free webspace (not sure how much) by request, Pop3 and web access email but AFAIK no newsgroups.

Price is =A316.99 per month for unlimited 512k access. I've been with them for years both as dialup and ADSL. I like.

Reply to
fishman

Yep - I could have got cheaper. But my first list started with all the ISPs that had a good rep, and got smaller from there. Who are you with ? As long as Demon are as good as I've heard, then I'm happy to pay them £30 a month :)

Reply to
Nom

Thats who were with at the mo, and generally they seem OK. Just trying to get a feel of what else was out there too though

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Seems a bit pricey. Bear in mind i rarely download big files, so something like a 2Gb limit isnt a problem. I'm thinking a limited quicker connection may be the way to go.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's a bit of a worry if the most important thing is a support line. I've never needed one with Pipex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bulldog.. they're £40 a month now for the 2Mb package anyway - got an Xmas deal a couple of xmas's ago :)

They have had their crap moments but have been OK for a while now.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

i've called pipex support, bloody good and there site gives the rough time you have to wait, also when my ADSL wasn't connecting the other day it managed to get onto some kind of pipex intranet which allowed me to check the network status and stuff, there was a connection prob but it said it was with BT and said i just had to turn my router off, unplug it and plug it all back in and switch on, problem solved :)

Reply to
Vamp

My computer is an old Acorn - RISC OS - which also has an even older PC built in. The Acorn is fine for most things, but the browser(s) don't have the latest version of Java and Flash, etc, so won't access some sites properly. So I use IE 5.5 on the PC card for this. (The RISC OS browsers are *much* faster than IE 5.5 running on my version of a 586) And can have that running at the same time as the RISC OS side - and the other machine in the workshop too. But sometimes IE reports an error while the RISC OS side is working fine. The only cure is to switch the router off, then on again.

One day I'll understand these things. Or more likely be dead first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just signed up for their 4meg unlimited with phoneline deal.

Will see how that goes.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "Carl Gibbs" slurred :

Tiscali are doing a 512k with 30GB/mo limit and 1M with 2GB/mo limit, both for £15.99/mo, with free modem and no setup fees.

Reply to
Albert T Cone