OT : CHAMPIONS!

Least deserved European Cup win of all time?

I certainly think so. Liverpool have been absolutely dire this season, so much so they haven't even qualified to defend the cup next year.

I'm not going to congratulate on this one, especially as said Scouse fans slagged off United for winning it after qualifying in 2nd place back in '99. It was said at the time that we shouldn't have been there to win it - well, it's even more true in this case.

They won this final on a 10 minute spell of playing football, and 110 minutes of desperately holding on for penalties.

IMHO, this *totally* devalues the European Cup.

Can't wait 'till the new Premiership season to see Liverpool back in their rightful place of fighting to break free from mid-table mediocrity.

Reply to
SteveH

May I just remind you of something... it's our 5th CL win, and the last English team to lift a European Trophy before this one was... oh, yeah, that's right, Liverpool. That "mid-table mediocrity" that has won more European titles than all the other English teams put together.

The Manchester Buccaneers might do it next year, and if you do, I'll congratulate you on your third win.

All this s**te about "The cup is devalued" is precisely that, s**te. When we won the UEFA cup, Man U fans were "Cups worthless now", when we won the super cup Man U fans were "It's worthless", the Worthington cup "Worthless", and now the Champions League cup is "devalued".

As I said, don't be bitter, enjoy the cheerleaders next season ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

As happy as i was to see the English team win, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Liverpool are certainly not the best team in Europe, even nearly, and they have no chance of winning the premiership next season. They're waaaaaaaay to inconsistant. If they played like they did for the 6 mins when they scored all the goals, for the whole season, then they might have a prayer :p.

Also, UEFA cup is pretty worthless now :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It'll go well in the cupboard though.

Hehehehheh

Inconsistant, yeah.. I'll go along with that, but I'm off to the bookies to put £50 on us winning the prem.

Reply to
Pete M

AC also only got to the final through luck - they were comprehensively outplayed for the full 90 minutes by PSV (and a good portion of their home leg) so it's rough justice afaic. It was a great comeback to win.

Reply to
JohnR

They had 50% possession, looking at the stats.

That aside, any team that goes 3-0 up by half time, and then has three goals scored against them in the space of *five* minutes, and then has a total of an *hour* to get back on the pace and regain the lead?

Well...

They can't have been playing *that* good, if faced with as bad an opposition as you claim, and nor can Liverpool have been playing *that* badly either, to hold their own in the face of a side that did what it did to them in the first 45 minutes of play.

It's not even as if Liverpool gasped the equaliser, right at the end of the game.

HTH

Not really... it's like the FA Cup, when the odd giant slaying occurs really, IME, given both clubs recent records in Europe and elsewhere.

A bit like when Palace kicked their arse in the League a few weeks back, in other words. ;-)

"We're shit, and we know we are"

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Heh.

Even Maradona has gone on record to state "Brazils 1970 World Cup team couldn't have done what Liverpool did last night".

The greatest CL cup final ever, that was.

the Manchester Buccaneers fans are just gutted because A: Someone has taken their "we were the last English team to win the CL" claim from them, and B: It was a far more exciting final than the 99 one.

Oh, and of course, Liverpool, the most successful English team in Europe, have done it again.

Reply to
Pete M

Oh, it's all very well for you lot to qualify through, as it was put in '99, 'the back door' - but when Liverpool do it it's 'the greatest acheivement ever'.

That will always remain in my mind, never to be forgotten.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, you DID qualify through the back door, and don't you forget it.

However, things change with time, and this year we followed the Buccaneers "back door" example.

ManUsa couldn't win it without using the "back door", and this year we couldn't either.

The /other/ four times we did it the proper way.

Awwwww shucks.

Reply to
Pete M

You should have been where I was on Sunday - watching the Gambia clebrate winning the Africa U-17s by one goal in the 87th minute while a fan was on the pitch...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp