OT ipods

Perhaps you would like to edit the article to put readers straight. Or, Wikipedia has enough procedures to handle bias. This article is not currently flagged as subject to bias investigation. Perhaps you would like to instigate such a procedure. You have the power. You don't need to hope that a large corporation does it for you. :P

I can't believe my eyes. Why do you think the success of the product is more important than the users' needs?

Okay. Some people don't enjoy the grip. Others are more submissive.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

There's this thing called "Fair Use". Glad to see that you've quite happily decided to give that right away that by buying the mantra of the corporates.

Reply to
Conor

It's OK Tim. Steve has been bending over backwards for big business for so long that he believes what they say is right, legal and moral.

Reply to
Conor

I was just going to mention the Toughbooks. Crap spec for the price but man are they strong.

Reply to
Conor

Not in the UK, there's no concept of fair use here. In the USA you would be fine, and in Germany you may one backup copy of any copyright material.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That't what my father in law is using in Iraq at the moment. Bloody tough and bloody pricey.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No Conor, I've worked for so long on the acquisition and disposal of IP rights that I know what I'm talking about whereas you simply blunder around thinking you are right.

f you can point out to me why stealing someone elses IP is "moral" I'd be most amused.

Also you should be aware that the same law that protects copyright material from being illegally copied can be used to prevent corporates from stealing from individuals. The GNU license is a good example of how lateral thinking about copyright can give an author the right not only to allow others to use their work but also to ensure that those who do also release their contributions to that work into the public domain.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not in the UK there isn't.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, you've just bought the FUD. Bet you also think that Microsoft spouting about not being able to sell used Windows licences is right as well.

Fair use isn't stealing.

Reply to
Conor

Videotaping TV anyone?

Reply to
Conor

Yes there is. Or are you saying that everyone who owned a VCR and recorded off the telly is a criminal and should be punished?

Reply to
Conor

I had an "ADAMS Rocky" ruggedised notebook in the late 90s. It had yellow rubber all over it, waterproof keyboard, etc.

The Toughbooks piss all over it, from a great height, and I intend to get one for my gf - who insists on having at the very least a magnesium screen section, so currently has a Dell LS. (I couldn't find a decent, cheap used M300 at the time, of course now they're practically free).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I doubt it pays the artists. Russian. Appears to be barely legal and I expect that the loophole will be shut which allows it to operate outside of Russia just as soon as the lawyers can get around it. If I want to download music without paying the artists, that is what P2P networks are for; I certainly don't want to pay someone to rip off music for me.

And they don't have any Atom & His Package.

Of course, that probably doesn't bother most people; but aside from preferring to have physical CDs wherever possible, I actually think musicians should be paid for their music - I download stuff which I haven't heard, but have heard of, before buying the CDs.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

No I don't, software "phones home" all the time - even some Linux builds do so. Who knows what info is going where? I'd trust Apple more than I'd trust a bunch of volunteers to handle personal data.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I don't need to edit anything - doesn't the use of the words "as defined by the sociopolitical ....." point it out to you - the article is written fromt the standpoint of an organisation, and is therefore biased.

Maybe I make some of my living out of producing software, music and video?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Indeed there are concepts of fair use in terms of software and paper publications, but not music, you're right.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

who?

I think I've bought about three tracks online, like yourself I prefer to have the CD.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You'll never find out using that service ;)

(techno-geek-punk-indie dude who basically makes very silly songs. Avenger is a good one. Sequenced silliness).

I bought Ulladubulla (War of the Worlds remixes), iTMS exclusive Pixies "Bam Thwok" - which is pretty crap and shows why the Pixies split - and maybe a Bravery EP. And of course, legally downloaded but not bought must be about 100 tracks from iTMS's "song of the week". Some of which aren't bad. Oh, and a couple of Atom tracks because I want the albums to go online, since they are REALLY hard to find otherwise.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The joy of Linux is that you can see the source code so you can find out exactly what it is doing.

Reply to
Conor

Which, of course, is of immense use to 99% of computer users who shit themselves at the idea of commenting out config lines...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK