OT: ping PeteM/other knowledgable trade types

The clutch on my B5 passat TDi ('00 V) has started slipping under load in high gears. I'm pretty sure it's a hydraulic system, so I reckon it's due a new clutch. Any idea how much I should be looking at to get this done?

In a fit of wild optimism I stopped in at the garage in the village to ask and he quoted some silly number with at least one too many 0's in it, but I reckon he may have it confused with the later dual mass flywheel jobbies. At least I hope so..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Doesnt it have a DMF ? Think it does...

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

including parts no more than 300 :)

Reply to
Rob

Really? Phew. That's not too bad at all. I need more mechanic mates, obviously..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

nope thats whats a m8 of mine has just paid a garage for a octavia 1900 tdi clutch to be supplied and fitted with a new cylinder to boot(well he paid

260)
Reply to
Rob

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Albert T Cone wittered on forthwith;

Clutch should be under £100 from GSF.

Dual mass one is very scary money.

Fitting around £150 (if it's not 4wd) not matter what type.

Reply to
Pete M

Cheers to both PeteM and Rob. The VW parts desk price for a DMF kit looks to be something over £900 (!) which may explain the silly price quoted by the mechanic chappy. Googling suggests that Valeo do a replacement kit, with a solid flywheel, for about £200, so if mine is a DMF, I reckon I might be getting one of those and then finding someone with sensible per hour rates to fit it.

Anyway, ta muchly again for the advice.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

If it is a normal flywheel do you have a Mr Clutch franchise nearby. They tend to be very good, decent warrenty and pretty quick.

Reply to
Elder

Wonder if they could do the V6 if it goes hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

Turns out it has a dual mass flywheel. Asking about, the consensus seems to be that it's worth just sticking a clutch kit on and not bothering replacing the flywheel, which reduces the cost by about £300. Still 5 hours labour though. 5 bleeding hours for a clutch - who the hell makes it so hard to replace a sodding consumable? VAG engineers are complete lunatics, as far as I can work out. *mutter mumble*

Reply to
Albert T Cone

fit of wild optimism I stopped in at the garage in the village to

The local one has completely washed their hands of a mates car which mysteriously lunched its gearbox within two weeks of them fitting a clutch.

That, and I don't about these days, but they used to use poor quality remanufactured clutches - I managed to knacker the one they fitted to my 1.3 Mk2 Escort in six months.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Ooh... it's totally knackered and only worth scrap value - I can collect with a truck? ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Shame you're the wrong end of the country really. I can get the clutch fitted for £150 and a replacement clutch for around £120.

Reply to
Pete M

Hehe, cheers, very generous of you. I'll see how my bodging goes first though, ta. :-D

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Hmmm. Hold that thought. I may have found a chap locally who can do the labour for £180, and it looks like the clutch kit can be had for about £100 online, but if that falls down, I'm not averse to a trip to 'verpool - folks live about 40 miles away. Cheers for checking up, in any case - much appreciated.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Bloody hell. Last one I used gave a 20k or 2 years warranty as long as=20 you went in on or near the specified mileages for checks or adjustment=20 (on a cable clutch).

And it was definatley new plates. Having said that, they did have a=20 regular old giffer who would have his Supra 3.0i every other week after=20 he had slipped the clutch to death.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Bad form, I know, but I found a chap at work who's happy to do the work himself and offered me £300 less than I'd have got flogging it privately, so the problem's sorted, in a roundabout way. Cheers to everyone for advice.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Nothing bad about that. Best strategy methinks..

Reply to
Pete M