OT: v6 what's the point!

Thinking about getting a 350Z but it's got a bloody stupid big heavy V6. Why don't they just put straight 6 in there and have done with it, save money and get a much better power to weight - the skyline's RB26 would have done the job surely. V's are a waste of time for anything less than 8 cylinders aren't they? Is it just a crap marketing ploy? I'm selling my Primera GT - stupid thing.

Reply to
Johnny

Advantages of a V6 in a longitudinal installation:

Nice and short for it's cylinder count Very well balanced

Disadvantages in a longitudinal installation:

None.

However, they suck as a transverse installation, as you have to rip off most of the induction system to get to the rear plugs.

Reply to
SteveH

and in quite a few instances, lighter than a straight six. (Not including the cast iron lump in my Sierra).

Also *much* easier to package for crash protection.

Reply to
Pete M

I just think they're marketed as some sort of super dooper, awesome power plant and they're obviously not. What they are is a big heavy lump with too few cylinders. I'd have thought a V6 in something like the 350Z is just about the worst option, power to weight, they could have chosen. Just having a rant 'cos i really like the car and not the engine, what do I know.

Reply to
Johnny

How can they be lighter, all things (material) being equal?

Reply to
Johnny

I wonder how you know that :O

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's one of the reasons my 155 is only a TSpark and not a V6...... I looked at the V6 version and decided they're an absolute nightmare to maintain - nevermind the fuel consumption.

Still very tempted by a 75 V6, though, 'cos there's loads of room in the

75 engine bay to get to everything.
Reply to
SteveH

In my opinion V6's are fine in a front wheel drive configuration but there is no reason what so ever to use a V6 in a rear wheel drive/4x4 simply becuase the physic's of a straight 6 allow more power to be put down ( i read that some where the straight 6 is the most natural configuration to date ).

Reply to
REMUS

Are you mad? - I'd have to assume you've never even attempted a simple job on a FWD V6.

A V6 is much better in terms of overall packaging - you can have a shorter nose, better crash protection, more interior space for overall car length etc.

Ultimate power isn't a huge issue as most 3lt or so V6 and straight 6 motors are quite happy to churn out 200-300bhp without any hassle.

The straight 6 has had it's day, IMHO, as it offers lots of packaging problems due to it's length with no real advantages over the straight 6.

I'd expect to see even more use of the V6 engine as it can easily be packaged in FWD / RWD / 4WD cars.

Reply to
SteveH

No.

V6 gives a nice short engine, allowing you to move the CoG back further and improving the handling / shortening the nose over using an inline six.

Could be worse, could be a transverse inline 6 and front drive!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

V12 is the only configuration that needs no balancing IIRC.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

[snip]

I've just got a Chevy Impala with a transverse V6 and you seem to be able to tip the entire engine forward to get to the rear plugs just by unbolting some mounts on the top. You still need to unbolt the exhaust and some other gubbins but it seems to be *fairly* easy (not that I want to try it just yet, I think only the front valve cover gasket needs changing *touches wood*)

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

How could they be heavier? Think about it, the crankcase on a V6 is a lot shorter than a straight six as is the block, as is the crankshaft.

Reply to
Steve Firth
[V6]

That's umm untrue.

For example:

Ford (USA) 4.0 V6 351 lbs (156 Kg) Ford (Aus) 4.0 straight 6 385 lbs (171 Kg) BMW M60 small 6, straight 388 lbs (172 Kg) Buick 3.0 V6 350 lbs (155 Kg) Nissan RB25DET straight 6* 720 lbs (320 Kg) Nissan 350Z V6 ?

  • Nissan Skyline GTR engine, those turbos must weigh heavy. ? Can't find the weight quoted anywhere yet. You fill in the blank since you obviously know it. I'll kill myself laughing if it is more than
320Kg.

Also untrue, a six is inherently balanced. There are only two engine types worth having a six and a V12. All else is just pissing about.

Bollocks.

They could for example have installed a cast iron single cylinder diesel like the Yanmar 1GM10.

Based on a load of irrational old bollocks.

If you want a Skyline, buy a Skyline. If you want a 350Z buy one. Why waste your life pissing and moaning about something you can't affect? A straight six in a 350Z would f*ck up weight distribution and there's nowhere to put one under the current bonnet. So you can't have a straight six in that body.

OTOH I suspect that you don't have a cat in hells chance of buying either.

Not a lot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

did someone say Volvo S80?

as for the ranting against a V6. You're talking utter nonsense matey. Think of the companies that still use a straight six.. let me think now.. Volvo in the S80, TVR in a couple of theirs, the Nissan Skyline, and BMW. Jaguar dumped them years ago, Mercedes did the same at the same time, Aston Martin shortly afterwards.

Problems with inline 6s are they're difficult to package, they often suffer from crankshaft trouble when used at high revs (hence BMW using a V8 in the M3 GTR), they also seem to suffer with cracked heads and head gasket failure more than any other type of engine I can think of. (excluding K series Rover lump). Think of all the dead XJ6s, Rover SD1s, BMW 3/5/7 series around with knackered heads. I know a few people who've had trouble with Skylines as well.

They're also more difficult to get through emissions regulations IIRC..

Think about it, what can you buy new with a straight 6 engine? Skyline, S80, TVRs, some powerless yank shitboxes, BMWs, the Partridge Lexus, Mercedes Sprinter and a few other diseasels. As diesel engines are to be shunned at all costs, we'll say no more about them.

What can you get with a V6? Alfa, Audi, Citroen, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia (er.. not such a good thing), Mercedes, MG Rover, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Noble, Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Seat, Skoda, Suzuki, Toyota, Vauxhall, and Volkswagen.

As for why are V6's lighter, think of the length of the crankcase for one.

Reply to
Pete M

other points aside, why? If you're implying I can't afford it then the egg on my face will be flying your way.

Reply to
Johnny

Firstly because you'll be on a long waiting list. Secondly, if you could afford it you wouldn't be wasting time here pissing and moaning about it.

Yeh right, don't you mean the spot custard from your face?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ooops. Of course, the 2nd straight 6 should have been a Vee.

Reply to
SteveH

sod the tech shit, 350Z's are nice cars, move pretty sharpish and handerling looks spot on if a little understeery (for a safer feel i guess)

got a clip of one being put through it's paces from a best motoring dvd somewhere...

Reply to
Vamp

Yeah, I can't see any real advantages of a straight 6 over a straight 6.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan