OT: v6 what's the point!

Straight six has perfect primary and secondary balance (as does a V12) V6 doesn't.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

I'm ready to get one, the whole V6 thing only cropped up after a conversation I had with a mechanic yesterday. I'm certainly no expert on the subject as is painfully obvious from the info i've received already, snidey comments from the odd prick aside.

Reply to
Johnny

Don't lots of inline 6s have a balancer shaft, though?

Reply to
SteveH

Sounds like the mechanic also knows f*ck-all about the subject either.

Reply to
SteveH

Butt the f*ck out - you haven't got a clue what was said and what wasn't. If you want to call me names go ahead, knock yourself out. I care.

Reply to
Johnny

What do you expect when you name yourself after a condom?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The slop that I got I suppose.

Reply to
Johnny

So what, take a look around you - there are no light cars anymore (barring kiddy toy shit like the Elise).

Marginally, at best.

The 350Z shifts extremely well as it is. If you're worried about power, go for the supercharger package.

Not really, no.

Maybe, V6's are just cooler than straight 6's[1].

Reply to
Lordy

Because the block is shorter but wider, the V6 is usually lighter than the equivalent straight six. This also means it fits into a smaller engine bay.

You can halve the number of cam shafts by going straight, but you're also increasing their length.

On the whole I'd have a straight six, for a refined car, V6 for a raucous one. V8 is a quite different beast, I would always rather have a V8 over a V6 because it has the engine note due to firing order and will burble for the same reasons.

Reply to
Questions

Actually you're wrong. The GTR runs the RB26DETT engine. The GTS-T runs the RB25DET. I seriously doubt those weights as well.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Nissan have dropped the RB range of engines in favour of their V6s. Even the R34GTR race car running in the japanese touring car series has been running a v6 for the last couple of years. The v6 in the 350z puts out

206kw which is what the GTR put out (supposedly) without any turbo charging. Imagine what it will put out when you strap some forced induction to it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You've never heard a Cosworth GAA then - or a Eurocar spec V6 either.

As everyone else has said, packaging for the V6 is entirely different and the characteristics of an inline versus a V engine are quite different as well.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

In news:cd576q$dp5$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com, Bob Sherunckle decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oh, and as for V engines being a waste of time for anything less than 8 cylinders, I'll just say one word and leave it at that...

*DUCATI*
Reply to
Pete M

What's the point in it NOT being a V6 ?

Er, which is no heavier than a straight-six. Infact, it's probably lighter than your average straight-six !

A. Cos a straight-six is huge. B. It probably wouldn't be any cheaper. C. It probably wouldn't weigh any less.

It's also getting very long in the tooth. Yesterday's engines in today's sports cars, isn't really the best way for Nissan to make sales against the competition :)

Course not !

Course not !

Reply to
Nom

he's right y'know.

Reply to
Theo

cant think of any, usually V6 have balance shafts

Reply to
Theo

i disagree, I prefer a straight 6, they sound better too.

Reply to
Theo

Feel free to tel me what they should be, they are the best I could find.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I couldn't be assed. But having owned one I can tell you with authority you're wrong.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Sound! I am lucky enough to have two straight 6 cars and the wife has a V6, the straights sound much nicer (exhaust note wise!), they also more top end (high rpm) power IMHO.

Reply to
Will Reeve