Re: A curse on all lecturers

Where else will they get the thick end of £20/hr for being incompetent?

Reply to
Conor

£20/hr.
Reply to
Conor

Bollocks. More like only just enough to live on. Remember, the equivalent for a lecturer at the start of their career is Phd student - lots of hours, f*ck all money.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Driving lorries :-) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

Absolutely - bright students should get a university education which matches their ability, regardless of personal wealth, and that is almost what used to happen until 15 years ago. OTOH, there have always been a few who were accepted despite being thicker than treacle, but who just so happened to have their fail-grades written on Eton/Harrow/Buxlow etc headed paper. At least the University used to get a few new books or something from a grateful daddy when young Arfur Witt got his 3rd in sociology, but now he'll get in anyway.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I wish.

Reply to
Conor

Crike. When I was at Leeds it was one of the most demanding in terms of qualifications needed to get in of the lot. That was Physics though.

Reply to
Doki

Really? When I was applying for a physics place, Leeds offer was 2 E's at A-level, without an interview - easily the lowest of all the places I applied to. That was back in '94, so I suppose things may have changed since.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

"Doki" :

SNIP>

Which planet are you on?

Pension - I've got to work until I'm 65 just like everyone else. Sorry, now it's 67.

Holidays - yes, I get 7 weeks. Teachers get 16 weeks' holiday. We both do an average of over 50 hours a week - a lecturer does the highest number of unpaid hours in the UK.

Reply to
David Lane

ABB at the minute, something similar when I went there (though I did no work for A levels, and hence ended up doing the foundation year at Leeds)...

Reply to
Doki

ABB now = EE in '94. Sounds about right :-D

Reply to
Albert T Cone

If you couldn't easily get ABB or better in maths, physics or chemistry then Cambridge physics probably wasn't the right place to be..

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

And let me guess, they've still passed?

1st year Uni is such a piece if piss.
Reply to
ts86

All my lectures earn around £100k a year.

That's 'cos they're researchers first and then lectures for a few hours a week. Most of them are brilliant too.

You'll find it depends on the department. Students of engineering, some sciences etc. are not affected by this AUT stuff.

Reply to
ts86

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

I rest my case.

Reply to
SteveH

That's because most of the first year is spent teaching the basics for the benefit of those who haven't studied the subject at GCSE/A level.

Reply to
Conor

Indeed.

Reply to
Conor

I know that. Doesn't help everyone though. For example, I felt really bored.

Reply to
ts86

That's a lot for a lecture. For a lecturer it depends on the field you're in and whether you think students or your own private work comes first.

Aah ... researchers. Using doctoral students for tutorials.

Nope - I do all my own tutorials.

Reply to
David Lane

Definitely, although the point was that they tend to give offers like 'EE' to the candidates they *really* want.

Reply to
Albert T Cone