Re: OT : Paging that lot wot know Computers.

Someone explain it to me....

> > Oh, Radeon 9200 128 mb jobbie, Windoze XP pro.

Throw it out the nearest window and buy a Mac.

Seriously, I don't know why people put up with this sort of bollocks from Windows when a Mac 'just works'.

Reply to
SteveH

because mac's are gay and won't play wmv stuff :) plus there stupid money and you can't fiddle with them so easily

Reply to
Vamp

That's bollocks, I quite happily play wmv files most days.

No they're not. Cheapest Mac comes in a £359. Don't bother quoting specs. 'cos OSX is less processor intensive than Windows, on top of which, a Mac has a longer useful life than a PC.

Fiddling with computers is usually the reason they go wrong.... just buy something that works and leave it alone, ffs!

Reply to
SteveH

Macs play WMV quite happily.

You pay for what you get.

You can "fiddle" with a Mac quite happily. Especially since the underlying OS is BSD 4.2 UNIX.

Other people can't fiddle with your Mac, it's more secure than either Linux or Windows and when the FBI wants to crack a Mac suspected of being used in a crime they have to send them to Canada. This puts them off "fishing expeditions" which are common with Windows machines which can be cracked by any 10 year old script kiddy.

Your arguments are cack, especially the "gay" comment. FFS you've the mind of a 12 year old. Sadly it's the mind of a 12 year old baboon.

Reply to
Steve Firth

One of my lads at work bought one of those mini MAC thingies (got no idea what it is, lost interest when he told me) just before Christmas. He was all proud of it, telling us how our PCs were all bollocks and all the rest of the 'well thought out' pro MAC garbage.

It died within a week.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Why Canada?

Reply to
conkersack

"Consumer electrical in breaking down shocker".

FFS! Every brand will have a percentage of kit that breaks very soon after leaving the factory.

Reply to
SteveH

Celine Dion

-- Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Eh? Does she scare the computers into revealing thier secrets?!

Reply to
conkersack

"StevenH" in backpedalling excuses shocker.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing, I know) that wasn't necessary towards yourself and I apologise :/

Reply to
Lordy.UK

What happens when I want to play a game? Or do something mainstream? Just because they're not the norm doesn't make them cool or better. Having had first hand experience of several Macs since I went to uni this year, I can now say, without a shadow of a doubt that I will NEVER own one.

Reply to
DanTXD

macs are poo, they look awfull, they are too expensive, you cannot upgrade them properly, you have to feel all *creative* when using one, for no apparent reason other than your trendyness.

and there is no difference between reliability of pc's and macs, some pc's may be less reliable as they are made from cheaper parts, yet macs all come from the same factory, so damn it to hell i'd expect the thing never ever to crash, same way my personal computer I built my self with all the bits i wanted, never crashes, shock shock horror.

Reply to
Theo

Theo wrote: [snip]

Hell that scored 100% for bullshit content.

Says who? What an unmitigated pile of cack you have posted.

Same factory as each other, yes. What relevance this has to anything is something you'll have to explain. Most PCs are assembled in one factory, although as with Macs the parts will come from many suppliers.

You appear to be ranting about something I didn't say. HTH. And you appear to be confused into thinking that assembling a computer yourself makes the parts more reliable.

Reply to
Steve Firth

...again.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH
[...]

So does this GNU/Linux box, even some that choke MS Media Player...

This dual processor box was built for very cheap ~5 years back from (high-)end of line parts, so not always.

Mind you I still have a stupid PC BIOS rather than a proper Open Firmware boot PROM like Macs, Suns and IBM PPC kit...

Strictly speaking 4.2BSD is (like GNU and Linux) not UNIX, even though OSX is.

They all quack like *nix, which is what counts, and now that OSX ships with a rootless Xserver there is probably more software available for it than any other platform.

As default yes but with a bit of effort Linux or even MS Windows can be quite well armoured. OpenBSD and AIX are the ones to beat though.

Alistair J Murray

apple assemble the same parts over and over again, PC's are are assembled from components from a whole variety of different manufacturers, compounded by the fact that highstreet pc's seem to be built very cheaply.. doesn't help

Reply to
Theo

Because Mac owners are so one eyed they make Cyclops look normal. Thier computers could be on fire and they would say it is the marshmallow toasting feature that PC owners wished they could have. And Microsoft will rip it off in 5 years. Having said that, OSX is really nice to look at.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Bollocks. Looking at private cars parked in private drives and Focuses far out number Golfs, Audis or BMWs.

Guess I'm not most. Macs are still a pain.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How many of those are company cars, though? - Given that the 3-series quite significantly outsells the Mondeo these days, I'd guess that private money rarely goes into the Blue Oval's pockets.

Obviously, the company bought Fords filter through to private buyers after a couple of years, but at such a knock-down price people will buy them over the VW alternative.

Actually, that's quite a close comparison with a Mac, in terms of residuals. Macs retain a huge proportion of their value - a 1999 vintage 'Pismo' laptop will still fetch around £300+.

Only because you don't understand them.

Reply to
SteveH