Re: Saab Turbo clutch access

In article , "r" spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Can any of you tell me if he can change the clutch release bearing in situ, > and what has to come off the front to get to it, he says there is loads of > turbo pipery in the way. >

I've never done one, but if the turbo pipe work is removed, and the cover from the cluctch taken off, it is supposed to be swappable in situ.

This one goes over to Matt, who must have swapped a few in his time.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Matt tends to work on the 'classic' Saab 900. Not the Cavalier in drag that the OP is asking about.

Reply to
SteveH

If it's a Cav in drag, then it's the normal send plate off the box and withdraw the mainshaft back, shouldn't it? Didn't think you could change the release bearing, though, or am I wrong?

I remember doing a mate's Nova SR; we changed the plates, but not the release bearing as couldn't see how the heck to get the thing off...my hands aren't that small!!

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

I think you have to drop the transmission.. don't cheap out, just get the whole clutch replaced...

C900 was much easier - I could do a complete clutch job in 30mins.

cav in drag? Nah, apart from the floorpan..and that 2.5 V6 they had for a while...

Reply to
jb

So the least important bit, then? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Is it the GM or the Pukka C900? 93 would be a C900 but L maybe a late registration. If its a C900 then its a piece of piss. You'll need the special tool to hold the fingers back (or just make one, plenty of thick wire wrapped around works for me), tool available from

for bout 15qudi IIRC

Let me know if its a Classic or a GM though and I'll give you the relevant instructions.

Matt (on the 3rd AP in his 900 now)

Reply to
**-**

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

93 was the last year of Classic production in Hardtop I thought? with the convertable heading on to 94 before being replaced?

Should be one of the latest bestest Classics produced.

Mine's a lowely '84 Square nose, with a weak geabox, and flat front, and wonky front handbrake.

that '93 should have the restyled nose, rear handbrake, brakes based on the early 9000, and the strongest of the gearboxes.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Don't despair though its got the mad intake cam LOL

But its also got a Cat, Lucas Management and ABS, gimme an 1989 minter with a 1991 spec box anyday ;-) No ABS and bosch Jetronic, lob a 3bar FPR on and a set of 30#'s and turn the boost up as high as the standard turbo will allow (1.2bar), best served chilled with brakes glowing ;-)

Matt

Reply to
**-**

In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Hopefully, gradually I will be there. One day.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I thought so, but not mine, too heavy and slow for me, had one a few years ago. It's a mate's car.

:op

It's a C900 with four stud wheels and an inline engine. I believe it's been seriously breathed on, but don't have any details. The previous owner had too much money and a love of spending it on cars, he replaced it with a

400bhp Saphire Sierra, and then a much later Abbot Saab.

Matt will explain how to makie it fast, without making it any lighter. You end up with a formula one Sofa with more time than money invested.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo