saab question

I'm going to look at a Saab tomorrow - this one

SAAB 95 : SAAB 95 2.3SE TURBO AUTO 1998 £3,600 No offers, 1previous owner, aircon, 6CD changer, electric windows, mirrors, alloys, remote locking, alarm, fSsh, high motorway miles, hence price, nc

what do I need to look out for guys? apart from the obvious leaks - service history etc.. the guy sounds like he wasn't the owner as I asked the reg number for insurance purposes and he didn't know it - only said its r reg. (dealer or bought it at auction I'd reckon).

I was thinking of getting it aa inspected if it looks legit but would like some pointers just so I don't get carried away in the heat of the moment ;)

Jason.

Reply to
jasonoc

Nah dn't bother mate - Saabs are all shit with no exceptions ;)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Because its a high miler, and the fact he says it and doesn't say the mileage says to me really big mileage circa 200k...so the AA inspection might be a good idea. The clutch, gearbox etc should be ok because its motorway miles, likewise the brakes and stuff. Stuff like wheel bearings are what you need to be looking at, Saabs are well known for managing serious mileages on the engines, so that shouldn't be a problem, but you are spending quite a fair wad of cash. If it was a £500 thing then yeah sure, but if you're spending that kind of cash you should maybe look for something that is more likely to last for the money?

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

They're the second best swedish auto manufacturer...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thats gonna have been to the moon and back, check the Auto box as that'll be the main concern. Everything else should be reasonable so just do the normal checks, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then get the AA in.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Just checked and its done 140k.

Reply to
Jason o'connor

1) Auto box slipping- ask how often the fluid was changed- might be worth ringing saab dealer and asking if it isnt in the service schedule. This is likely the main worry- it has to handle alot of torque. Check it drops into drive virtually immediately both hot and cold from neutral, and the same with reverse. On the road with the box hot make sure the kickdown works and that it doesnt slip, and that the lock up engages over about 55mph. A tow hitch is bad news... 2) Dealer servicing stamps. The engine is good for 200k + if properly serviced, more if doing motorway miles. 3) Electrical faults- especially with the leccie seats, central locking, windows and instrument panel. Check all the warning lamps light with the igntion and then extinguish correctly.

Thats about it!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Cheers tim will check :)

Reply to
Jason o'connor

Yeah, thats what he was saying... saabs are shit (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The autobox is of japanese build, is as strong as an ox, ask the saab breakers how many are on the shelves... tells all!

140k miles is little, easily capable of far more, make sure history is good with regular oil changes.

Common weak points: Rear shocks SID unit and ACC unit loose pixels, you can repair yourself in under an hour each timing cover oil leak, most were caught under warranty Timing chain rattles, just in the window of possible replacement Blue smoke on startup, early cars suffered problems with the lpt, should all be fixed under warranty.

-- Why not give the forums a try?!

murphwiz

woohoo bought it!!! no rattly timing chain, no smoke, fully specked with climate control etc... me going for major test drive over weekend :)

just sold my old calibra for 1k as well so its only cost me (so far, fingers x) 2,550 :)

Reply to
jasonoc

In article , snipped-for-privacy@removethistoreplykoolcats.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Welcome to the now rapidly growing "Saabs in U.R.C.M club". Two new members very recently :)

Not counting you coming along here Murphwiz, you've been one of the Saabisti for two long already :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

thanks Carl been me been lurking for awhile ;) Me will think about modding the beast and getting some pickies up for you lot as soon as the missus aint looking ;) looking for some nice wheels and skirts as well as upgrade on the ecu and larger turbo if I can do it! (money permitting as im now skint!) thank god, I was thinking I'd have to keep the calibra another year as all the Saabs I liked were out of my price range (I also looked at some 620ti's but most were really poor!) just hope i dont come unstuck with any 'hidden' faults on this one.

Jason.

Reply to
jasonoc

In article , snipped-for-privacy@removethistoreplykoolcats.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Go for the ecu, wheels and larger turbo when you can, but leave the skirts and wings and things for the rice boys. Save the money for Optimax, when you get the loud pedal going, you will be able to use the fuel gauge as a rev counter, and the best bit is you'll enjoy doing it. :)

For the Ecu stuff, Hirsch and Maptun are names mentioned. In the UK, Abbbott and Trent are often mentioned and have big Saab experience, some people say Abbott are vastly overpriced though, and I've heard that Trent are concentrating more on Scoobies at the moment.

Also have a look at

they have some nice bigs and pieces that might help you out, tuning, and style wise.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Top notch motor though if you want a motorway cruiser, or you want a 4 seat drop top.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You've a 2.3 lpt... Adding a stage 2 from elkparts will turn this up to 246 bhp, all for an ecu, cat back and air filter... bargain. Been working for me for 20k miles....

Reply to
murphwiz

In article , snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

The Saabs have been gathering in the distance, they are coming over the rise, better get the Rovers in a circle Ma.

You had better convince Doki that 340 is just his ticket. Ain't much of a volvo, but it means You, Jamesy, and who ever it was with the 480 (sorry, old age forgetfulness) can bring yourselves upto level pegging.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ahhh.. There's me, Network Guy, Hugo Taylor Jones (who's disappeared...), shaun the occasional contributor, and sparky. Mabe others!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nobody will own up

Reply to