Re: Would you lot laugh.....

There seems to have been a recent influx of them in the UK though, in a similar way to when all the good E30 M3s were here - Germans had to come to the UK to buy 'em.

I'm considering a trip to New Zealand soon to bring back a couple of Mk2 Escorts...

Reply to
Pete M

Do you aspire to being a road between Birmingham and Exeter?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If I was a rep, and was given a clio, I'd be looking for a better employer.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It only needs some details changing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

23 quid a month if you compare a 318d SE with a Focus 2.0TDCI Zetec.

Not sure if that's a fair comparison, though - I reckon the ES is probably close on spec, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, it's only about 3 quid a month difference to drop to an ES.

That's not a great example - if one turned up in a Focus and one in a BMW, then the one with the BMW would probably create a better first impression.

Yes, but that's when you know the companies in question. Based on first impressions, though?

Well, when I say 'his company' - he was an employee, and that was his company vehicle.

Which suggests that the company is either flat broke (which more or less turned out to be true) or that they don't value their people.

Reply to
SteveH

Personally, I don't give a toss what reps turn up in. If I'm going to a meeting with someone I'll go in whatever is handy, as long as it's clean and tidy inside and not /too/ shit. I wouldn't go to a meeting in an '89 Micra but I'd have no worries taking someone out in the Rangie.

TBH we only took over this garage about a month ago, the previous owner recommended both companies but we just went off price. Clio boy rocketh mightily. I understand what you're saying when it comes to your line of work, but the dude in the Clio is kicking bottom. The next best company we use has a fleet of ancient Fiesta Mk3 vans.

Heh, the bloke with the Land Rover owns a classic car auction company. Funny guy, despises most new cars.

Reply to
Pete M

He doesn't despice new cars, a few of them will be classics once where he (or his alikes) will make money from.

What he dislikes in new cars is that they tend to be worth less than half of their new price in about 2-3 years and that for the price of a new "average-Joe" car he can buy something special with three times the power and a far better drive.

Example? A BMW E39 M5 with 400 horses is now selling in (new) Ford Focus-prices. Yes: I know a Focus is good but it's a piece of .... compared to a 2002 M5.

If the choice has to be made between driving occassionaly an M5 while having as daily driver a Ford Fiesta or driving a newisch Ford Focus all days, for me there is no contest.

In fact my choice is similar with a slight difference: the daily drivers are discarded without second thought when they finally break or wear down, the more special cars become "a collection" money can't buy.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You obviously know him better than I do...

This is true.

You can get a 2002 M5 for less than that, even. Then again, you can normally get a new Focus for wayy less than the asking price.

Same here. If I wanted a new car, I'd buy one. I'm so glad I don't want one.

I will be on the look-out for a cheap diesel shitbox tomorrow. Someone's coming to buy the Scorpio in the morning. A sad day.

Reply to
Pete M

No intention to offend nor him nor you. On the other side: most petrolheads want bang (the more the merrier) for bucks. Bang is mostly made by horse(power), seldom by the new-car smell of the interior.

As much cars and their performance are loved, as much we hate spending a bag of money for a anonimous (grey of silver) rep-mobile if for similar money a fire-spitting dragon sleeps under a cover in the garage while a cheap, just getting through MOT car stands outside, somewhere out of sight.

Let's face it: the cheap diesel shitbox is great for doodling around town, a dent in it received at the supermarket means nothing. But a careless dent in that 1934 Jaguar SS could make a grown man either weep or become an assassin. Still real carnuts drive that SS, even go to racetracks with it and spend weeks cleaning and fiddling afterwards :-)

snip to end.

You will no doubt find your 205D, which won't leave any impression on your memory. The Scorpio-whale and its estheticals marvels seems to have done just that.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

No worries! No offence taken.

You're pretty much spot on with all of the above.

Reply to
Pete M

Is that really where you live, close to the Triangle? The bloke I used to work with that had the soot-black interior Supra used to live in a house with the same postcode.

Umm, you may wish to edit the postcode out when you post autotrader URLs in future. It's not necessary for the listing.

This would work just as well and doesn't give anything away about you:

Steve Firth

Exactly the same postcode? It's near-ish the Triangle, but not exactly smack bang next door - a far nicer part of town than the bits right near the Triangle :-)

Point noted - ta!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AFAIR yes it was the same postcode and he lived around the corner from you. Quick check, yup he lived on the western side of Chestnut Avenue.

Reply to
Steve Firth