revs drop - induction kit

Not bad, but not as good as 220bhp and 640kg :-)

Reply to
Homer

It made my car sound cool :) (to me...)

Having said that, my 405 has good circulation in the bay, with that puny little engine in a space designed for a much bigger lump :) My brother's old 2.0 8v 405 had a lot less room in the bay than me.

Reply to
Dan405

Not as good as mine, 725bhp/tonne, and that includes full time 4 wheel drive with TorSen diffs :)

Ner ner ner ner ner :)

(3.45kg and 2.5bhp :) )

Reply to
Dan405

I still have over 300bhp/ton with the drivers weight added, what do you have? ;-)

Reply to
Homer

Well, i am the driver, i'm just not required to be in/on the vehicle ;)

Reply to
Dan405

It started looking promising. A few posts about power to weight ratios. Then it went all quiet.

Looked at a dutton melos kit car today, with a seized 1600 ford engine. If i buy that car and remove the ford (yuk) engine .... would the all alloy rover v8 engine fit in there (yes ... i'm still keeping power to weight in mind).

They've stopped making that engine b.t.w (so top gear said the other week).

I think my cat has a bit more than either of those, does she count as the driver?

Reply to
Questions

725 per tonne, and a better 0-60 than you :)
Reply to
Dan405

Missed the other post where i mentioned the weight ;) ?

Reply to
Dan405

Free up the ford engine first and see what the car is like with that. If it is too sluggish, then consider a v8. The weight will be higher, it'll use more fuel, and I would be surprised if the extra power was particularly usable.

Anything will fit.

I wouldn't take TG too seriously, someone, I forget who, bought the tooling for the engine so someone, somewhere intends to make them. In any case, you can get blocks from loads of donors, particularly as the aluminium doesn't rust, fit new liners, pistons, heads, etc, and there you are, a new engine. You can get crankshafts, pistons, etc, from various suppliers - you don't need Rover ones:

lots and lots more, many have no website (like Real Steel, who build them).

Having said that, I would reckon 1600 decently tuned suits the Melos much better because it's a fairly narrow track, plastic car with limited handling. The big engine would bring the weight forward and down, and would be a nightmare to drive at speed. Insurance would be interesting too.

Reply to
Questions

Thanks for the info. Another person has bought the car (while i was still thinking about it). Back to the ax then.......