'ring lap

AIUI, to answer accusations from some German manufacturers that the radical wasn't a real road car, they drove that to the 'ring from the UK and used the same road tyres for all the runs.

Anyway, it's a pretty impressive lap. The karousel didn't look like much fun, mind.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Sex wee! 170mph in something based on a tea tray.

That's pretty mad. I do think it's pretty cheeky how they get the road legalness of it by driving it there.

Do you think you could UK road legalise something like an F1 car? Has anyone tried doing something similar in the likes of a road legal Caparo T1? I wonder if it would be faster.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Shame it didn't have an extra gear, the thing was on the limiter at 170 :D

Someone in Japan did something like this IIRC, but I haven't been able to google it. I remember it being yellow, originally had a Judd engine but the owner dropped the engine from a Ferrari road car in for reliability reasons. But that's all I can remember.

Reply to
Abo

Abo gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There was a real Jag XJR9 LeMans car on road plates (and taxed - IIRC, the tax disk did indeed say "Jaguar", too) at Harpenden's Classics on the Common last year...

I seem to recall somebody'd road-legalled a McLaren M6(?) CanAm or similar car, too - and there's at least one road-reg Porsche 962.

Reply to
Adrian

Putting in a Ferrari engine to make a care MORE reliable. Wow.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Yeah seems like that on the face of it, but I reckon you'd get more miles per rebuild from a road-spec Ferrari engine than you would from a F1 Judd...

Reply to
Abo

Does sound a bit odd. Now did it have that funky paddle shift Alfa transmission, though...

Reply to
DervMan