Some stage rally goodness

Well its been my local gravel stage rally this weekend (the Sunseeker) so I've been out marshalling in the forests. 'Unfortunately' this meant I had to take the MR2 all the way round one of the stages in the morning. I have to say, it performed admirably. Was averaging about 50mph through the gravel tracks, hitting about 70 a couple of times, yet was still steering one handed and drifting perfectly controllable, cant wait to get it out as a competitor (although not quite to stage rally standards).

This afternoon we manned the start of one of the other stages - operating the timing beams/lights, making sure everyone went at the right time and noting all the relevant details. Was good fun and you got to see the crews/cars up close. And to make it even better our stage commander was so impressed with us he wants us doing the start of a stage on another event later in the year for him, and also marshall the Revival at Goodwood with him :)

Cars of the day were an original Ari Vatanen Rothmans mk2 Escort being used as a course car (and driven like it should be), Andy Burton in his 306 Cosworth (as ever) and Andy Drummond in an amazing sounding Disco V8 that was going like shit off a shovel despite being completely the wrong shape! When we saw him in the afternoon he was missing the windsreen and the passenger window, but was still in high spirits saying he could now hear the engine better! Top man!

All in all a very good day, and has inspired me to get my arse in gear and get the car sorted out!

That will be all

Carl

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

sounds cool, your a brave guy throwing the MK1 MR2 around, i personally would never throw it around on gravel :)

Reply to
Vamp

Its totally balance, its great. The 205 i'd, I'd have to chuck in on the handbrake then mess about trying to sort it out, the Volvo was OK, but too much bouncing and high speed twitchiness, but the MR2 is just perfect, even as you picked up the pace it totally behaved itself. Big grins all round :)

Although the number plate took a bit of a beating. I'm afraid your square one will have to go, in favour on the rectanglular one. Also the front spiltter will need a bit of extra supports at the front as its a bit flimsy.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

hehe well good luck and yeah the square plate looks cool but is just begging for a big stone i always thought :)

Reply to
Vamp

Hey! Well done and thanks for marshalling! As a competitor (although not on this one :( we know we wouldn't have a rally without you guys out there looking after us!

I was spectating this weekend as I live in Wareham, so good to see the rally around the forest. Were the Disco and Defender mad or what!!

Reply to
Clive

Hey there! No probs, glad to hear you appreciate it :) Its good to put something back into the sport, especially since its a good day out too (even if it was a bit cold!)!

They were lunatics, especially the Disco, but what a noise! I did the Gore Heath stage in the morning on junction 10 (which was near Wareham i think), and then the Ebblake stage in the afternoon on the start line.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs