Spoilt for chooice on the bay today.

The PV-444 seems very attractive. Wonder if it would take a 2.3 turbo engine and manual box and a 244 PAS rack and pump and brakes all round?

Anyone feeling lendy generous?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That PV is the dogs! Whats that roof thing for(?), taxi light?

Reply to
Ken

I thought maybe 1950's Hands free/Sat Nav/incar TV aybe ;)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Man, I'm a heathen when it comes to old cars, but that PV444 is the badgers nadgers. Probably wouldn't really work in central London, but really - who cares?!!

Nick

Reply to
NickD

In news:dt23op$82r$ snipped-for-privacy@sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk, Ken wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Periscope I should think, that back window will hardly give a panoramic view...

Reply to
Pete M

I like the combination of aerodynamic back with 1940's truck-shaped front.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Yup. Volvo wanted to conquer america in the 1950's to make some money after turning almost purely military during the war, so it made a mini Yank car to sell to the yanks. Still popular for rodding over there because they are different. Safe, yet economical, yet 1940's style.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

The 444 and the 544 (one piece windscreen and 1600 engine with disc brakes) are very trendy if you can find one.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

PV-444 6 volt and drum brakes all round. So there is a couple of grand before you even think about touching the engine.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Not if they can be pulled off a =A3300 Volvo 244 they aren't :) Might even get the engine and box from same car. And anyway, 6 volt and drums isn't a killer, just not optimum. there are=20 still plenty of 6v Beetles and type 2 buses driven arround.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

The wiring will work. If you swap the engine from a 6 to 12v engine, use the alternator from the 200 series engine. If need be get new battery leads made to convert from pos to neg ground to go with the modern battery or even use those from the 200 donor.

The engine and box will bolt in and is a popular conversion among volvo owners. I'm reckoning, if I can use 240 brakes, might be able to bolt amazon disc hubs onto PV steering knuckles or even use the amazon knuckles and use 200 series 4 pot front calipers and retain the drums at the rear, or even convert to amazon rear discs.

Thing about Saabs and Volvos, mechanically and structurally, the cars tend to evolve rather than change drastically, run for a long while, and overlap models.

So in a lot of cases, it is bolt on changes, rather than drastic cutting and welding.

An example is the 99/900/9000. The 99 turbo came with a K-jet injected turbo 2 litre 8 valve. With a little splicing it is easy to run a LH-Jetronic 16v turbo engine from a

900 T16S. The brakes and suspension are already the same as the pre- facelift 900's with the front handbrake. The discs aren't even a different size. But if you have an early 900, and want to improve the handbrake, and brakes, you get the rear beam and handbrake handle from later post 86 900 because that used 9000 brakes including the rear handbrake. Then you get to bolt on the 9000 calipers by using two 4" long peices of angled steel as flexi hose mounts.

Theoretically it is possible to fit 30 year newer brakes from a 9000 to a 99 turbo, although I don't know if anyone has tried fitting the beam or handbrake handle, as the 99 turbo guys tend to be more interested in improving originality than mad swapping.

Also there were B series 140/200 engines on Carbs too.

Sounds easy. In theory.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I like Theory. Look how Carl Gibbs is planning to stick a big 2.3 tuned into his 300 series. He is planning to inject via megasquirt.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Well stop posting and start building. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston