Suspension and braking

so, you're tyres are wider but they don't have more rubber in contact with the ground? how does that make any sense then? :p

Reply to
dojj

the TIS is the recall disc what you want is the microcat one ;) I will have a look and get back to you directly

Reply to
dojj

without abs you get

1028404 and 1035529 for the m/c and servo WITH abs you get either 1047260 or 1061344 and 1049882 for the same

it doesn't say anything else about them

Reply to
dojj

But in terms of effectiveness, throwing an anchor out of the back tied on to bungee rope is probably more effective. Only since we don't have a tow mounting bracket point, we can't do that in the Ka! :)

Reply to
DervMan

They onlt lock up under 2 mph; we have ABS. :)

It's typically front then rear; but the rear wheels contribute to the overall braking effort.

For the Endura-E range, Kas with ABS have bigger back drums, Kas with vented discs have standard sized rear drums. The only reason why ABS-equipped Kas have bigger drums is to improve access to the ABS sensors (or perhaps even so as to fit them in). The rally variant has larger rear wheel cylinders and the same sized drums. Oh, and no ABS.

Reply to
DervMan

BAH !

Read the posts above :)

Think of the bit of tyre that touches the road. For simplification purposes, think of it as a rectangle. Say your tyres are

185 width. The rectangle will be about 185 wide, and X long. Let's say for example, that X is 50. So your rectangle of tyre-contact area is 185 x 50, meaning an area of about 9200 (185x50=9200). With me so far ?

Now, let's say you put 205 tyres on. The rectangle now changes shape. It's now 205 wide, but the length X is now reduced, to say 45. So your rectangle of tyre-contact area is now wider, but shorter, at 205 x 45. The area of it, remains the same at about 9200 (205x45=9200).

Same amount of rubber is touching the road, with both tyre sizes.

All figures are approximate.

Reply to
Nom

Its that infernal maths again

-- James

Reply to
James

Nom waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

But surely (and I've not read the rest of this thread) if you're going for a

45 instead of a 50 section, you'd normally be going up an inch in wheel diameter e.g 205 / 50 / 15 to 205 / 45 / 16. So X would be longer instead of shorter due to the lower profile. IF my train of thought isn't derailed (as usual) then that'd mean that X would be for example 55. So 205x55 = 11275.

I know when I was having major traction problems with the Cossie running 225 / 50 / 15s on the rear, I fitted 245 / 35 / 17s and it near as damn it cured

90% of the problem, (looked great too) replacing it instead with a major aquaplaning one. (Probably due to the Cossie only weighing 1340 Kg or thereabouts and the 245s not having enough weight on them). Swings and roundabouts innit? I'd have thought the aquaplaning would have been caused by a larger contact patch allowing the car to lift more when on water, due to more water being able to fit under the patch. Could have been something to do with the Goodyear Eagles being bollocks.
Reply to
Pete M

Only ?!

Surely they're not that heavy, that's roughly how much the 620ti weighs with all it's toys and safety equipment...

Reply to
Lordy

Lordy waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Iron blocked Pinto, rear wheel drive etc. Still lighter than a Mk4 Golf.

Reply to
Pete M

this was a very bad move as these size tyres on the standard rims were a major problem that was soon solved the tyres are just too wide for the rims and they have inherent problems with sidewall flex and roll it was a big deal way back in the day when people wanted to put the power down

Reply to
dojj

Yes. But this doesn't affect anything. Total outer tyre diameter (the bit that touches the road) remains unchanged.

No. More info here

Yup. As I've already said, extra tyre-width DOES improve dry grip - I've got wider tyres on my TI. BUT, it's not because there's more rubber touching the road (cos there isn't) - it's because the SHAPE of the rubber-touching-the-road is changed.

No. Your tyres push the water sideways. The wider the tyre, the further the water has to be pushed (and hence the more it meets along the way) in order to be removed.

Reply to
Nom

Except that the TI doesn't have any meaningful safety equipment :) Think NCAP rating :)

Reply to
Nom

Nom waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Hmm, wonder if I can get 335s under the back of the Sierrover...

Reply to
Pete M

It's for girls :).

Indeed. But not a lot is better than locked, especially if it's pissing it down :P.

Aha.

Reply to
Doki

tub the rear arches get a jag rear axle job jobbed :)

Reply to
dojj

dojj waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

I'd have been arsed doing that about 10 years ago!

Reply to
Pete M

then find an RS500 rear axle kit

9" diff and relocated trailing arms lots of power handling (or you can find the rear axle/drive from a lambourgini which has the same basic layout and fitting to swap that over, you know it's only worth doing if you want to do it properly :) )
Reply to
dojj

dojj waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Bollocks to that, its a £500 Sierra.. and besides, I've got that lovely ultra rare diff ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

I was thinking you would have forgotten that :( anyway, SNAP!!! I've got an ultra rare one too :)

Reply to
dojj