time to tart up the soggy old waterbed.

The MkIV Escort was the best selling car in the UK for many years - just because people liked it, doesn't mean it was actually any good.

I'm actually pleased for you that you've found something you like, but you're missing the whole point of it - it was a cheap barge, to go out and spend more than the purchase price on tightening up the baggy suspension is a bloody foolish thing to do - it's constantly moving target - you start off doing the bits you think need doing now, then think 'well, I've spent this much, so I may as well do these bits as well' etc, etc.

Enjoy it for what it is, don't spend lots of money trying to make a leggy old shed near perfect.

Reply to
SteveH

You are completely insane.

Reply to
SteveH

For KYBs you are looking at =A3240+springs for an Alfa 75. Not much less=20 than for mine if I want KYBs.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

But I got a set of Konis for the rear and Gabriel gas shocks for the front for less than £100, incl. the rear springs.

Reply to
SteveH

Not really, what am I going to find for =A32kish that is as bulletproof=20 engine/box wise, with a nice V8, electric everything, and so bodily=20 solid. This won't need any time in the welders. Just drive it.

Really, truly people sit in it/get a lift in it and immediatly start=20 asking mileage question and running costs, and don't seem scared off by=20 the answers.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

It isn't leggy, not for the platform. Double that is normal, treble that is leggy.

Reply to
Elder

Not really, what am I going to find for £2kish that is as bulletproof engine/box wise, with a nice V8, electric everything, and so bodily solid. This won't need any time in the welders. Just drive it.

--------------------------------------------------- SD1 ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That's why you need to spend so much on replacement suspension bits, then.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mileage is a bit 'uncertain', isn't it?

- due to lack of history.

Reply to
SteveH

Yadda yadda... our KA cost £450 in January, and has been 'properly reliable' since.

But he wants a car :-)

Reply to
Iridium

My front springs are £300 *each* from Renault. The rears are more expensive. And no one makes pattern parts :-) Cheapest other option is coilovers, starting at £1200 :-) And going up to £2k depending what you want.

Reply to
Iridium

To be fair, when I sat in it, it *really* didn't look like a 100k mile car even, let alone a 200k mile one.

Reply to
Iridium

To be fair, though - yours is a pretty much handbuilt, very limited edition, race car, not a 15 year old Toyota.

Reply to
SteveH

In sweden in the place they now make Volvo Cabriolets :-)

Reply to
Iridium

I wouldn't go telling people about that connection.

Reply to
SteveH

You mean bodies of the rival pimps you busted a 9 in the ass of last week? (c:

One thing about the MX-5 is that I don't think I'd manage to make a career out of serial killing with it as my only car.

Dan could take up shoe theft. 2 at a time anyway:

Douglas Payne

The factory was owned by TWR then :-) Apparently every Mk1 had a build log with it, that catalogued every single part, with it's serial number, and who fitted it.

Reply to
Iridium

like restoring an Italian fridge you mean?

TBH it doesn't sound like it's a stupid amount to spend - and some of it potentially counts as modding anyway, which is a whole different budget.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

You mean the Italian Fridge that's a long-term 'keeper' [1] as a classic car that only sees a handful of mountain runs and track days each year?

Completely different situation.

[1] As in, I still want to own it in 20-30 years time.
Reply to
SteveH

and bodily solid?

Reply to