Top Gear.

mmmmmmmm...

Yes, but probably not new.

It would be nice if there was something *completely* different rather than just subtle variations on a theme.

I'd save up for a Tatra ///M5 killer...

...it needs too wide a road to get a T700 sideways. 8)

Alistair J Murray

[...lots of Tatras...]

Yup!

Not noted for making dull cars are they?

Cool machines.

Alistair J Murray

You may but I doubt if you wold have suffient followers to create a liveable market.

Reality is that such a supercar would have to competen with the biggest Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar etc. VW has just proven that they do not have what it takes for it.

Witk a lot of respect for Skoda: actually Skoda is an older VW with a different skin.

The name of the bloke is Belgian Dirk Van Braeckel. He designed the Skoda Octavia and went further on to head the design of Bentley and Lamborghini.

And sorry but no: after his apprentisship at Ford Van Braeckel joined the VW- Audi-group. He got his big chance with the Octavia and didn't miss it.

Skoda designers were never swept bij VAG, VAG just happened to buy Skoda as a whole. I remember very clearly an advert a year later where the Felicia was pictured with a 1000 rubber arrows: one arrow for each improvement VW made. It was kind of useless. The Felicia still was a bad car which broke down a lot and worse: it didn't sell.

The Octavia was then launched and that was a straight hit: Passat-like car and almost built as good, equiped with the same engines too. Same logic went for the Fabia which became the replacement of the Felicia.

VW pulled the same stunt with Seat which they succeeded also. It was the time when everything VW touched became a big seller and I think that's when the VW- management thought that the VW-brand was good enough to be associated with top- end cars. The Phaeton and the Passats with very expensif and very powerfull engines proved them wrong. I suppose they won't make the same mistake with Skoda.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Actually Skoda is a newer VW with a different skin. They actually test features/improvements/changes with Skoda and Seat, before taking a risk with thier loyal punters at VW/Audi at higher prices.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

During WW2, after the occupation, SS officers were not allowed to buy Tatras. It was reputed that the reich thought they were an official Cz resistance weapon to try and liberate Czechoslovakia, they killed that many.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2