VAG TDI remapping

well our 31 bhp came from some electronic tinkering and a lump of extra boost, i have to admit it did take 4/5 hours and a lot of fiddling.

as i said aiming for 160/170 with a bigger i/c uprated injectors modding of the elbow and an extra few psi of boost :) although i realistically expect a cost of at least 800/1000 for that.

Reply to
Rob

for a next step check out

some tasty tuning gubbins there for both my VD and your PD lumps :)

roll on next year and a 3l V6 tdi A4 quattro:)

Reply to
Rob

Not the yellow one with the serious exhaust, black alloys? I was in from around 12.30 till 15.30. Did you notice the number of speed cameras and unmarked Police cars around that area - much more than a sleepy farming area would normally have for some reason ric

Reply to
Ric

Your engine's got VD?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Jabbasport's dyno regularly produces figures of about 140-142 bhp for a completely standard PD130 engine , and between 185 to 195 for a remapped one.

Assuming the same percentage of error on both figures thats a "true" 177bhp which is still a very impressive gain for the 400 or so quid it costs.

I've seen figures from cars tested elsewhere on less optimistic dynos that would seem to confirm that you will end up with 175-180 from just a remap

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Yep , and they seem to be showing about 146 for the before , so subtract around 10% from the end result.

175 bhp is still a big step up
Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Unless the error is exponential......(or should that be logarithmic, I can never remember, I think I was right first time, though).

Reply to
SteveH

yep VD cant remember what it stands for exactly but its the pre pump dusse (PD) engines

Reply to
Rob

No, dyno's aren't guaranteed to be accurate, and neither are opinions on usenet, unfortunately :-). The OP has a link to a dyno plot with before and after (before running at around 150BHP, due to later model Superbs having a different model turbo to earlier KKK models that were changed due to an alleged patent infringement from Garrett).

However, if you'd like to do a little googling, you'll see these gains aren't at all unusual. Sorry if that doesn't fit with your worldview, but that doesn't make something automatically invalid. The 1.9TDI VAG engine is particularly tunable, whether via generic remaps such as Revo or Custom Code, or via custom maps from Jabbasport et al.

A quick 5 minutes of flicking through t'internet will find many many links such as these:

Awesome GTI rolling road day. Includes dyno plots, videos, etc. Note cars were remapped by a number of different tuners

Briskoda reviews of Jabbasport (various models - Diesels and 1.8T):
owner reviews and dyno after JBS Automotive remap of Golf TDI 150 (same engine, turbo, different default ECU map):
by dyno results for Fabia VRS (smaller turbo) after JBS generic remap:
Seatcupra.net, user reviews and dynos:
I could go on..

On the other hand, if it irks you that much then feel free to book and pay for an independant rolling road session for me near Manchester and I'll post the results.

Incidentally, I've driven several hundred miles in a MKIV golf 1.8T petrol remapped by Jabba to 225BHP on the dyno. The owner has the dyno plot, and the car is demonstrably very, very quick - hosing another friend's TT 225 on the straights by some margin. It's not just the diesels that exhibit such potential gains from a remap.

Ric

I must be a petrol head as I've owned an Alfa Romeo, until the running costs crippled me and I got sick of things dropping off it.

Reply to
Ric

How did your insurance company react?

Justin.

Reply to
Justin Cole

Original insurance company was through Greenlight as a broker. Traditionally very good at modified cars, have been with them for years. They've stopped doing remapped Skodas this year, due to a few Fabia VRS prangs. Went though Chris Knott for renewal and it's actually the same price. Still costs a fair bit as I've a dodgy post code, but same quote as standard with another insurer.

Reply to
Ric

You were , but on a mechanical system like this errors are likely to be linear plus I've seen quite a few cars dyno'd elsewhere and the results seem to be a consistent 10% below Jabba.

At the end of the day all rolling roads are an estimate (even when they calculate cast down losses) and the only meaningful comparisons are before and after plots on the same road , or between two vehicles on the same road.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

No for the next step see Quaife and probably a set of TT stoppers.

Reply to
Depresion

No black.

There was an unmarked 530d that was on there cartpark using there toilets (well the coppers were)

Reply to
Depresion

A quick google on the terms 'JabbaSport dyno' also reveals rather a lot of posts saying that it's wildly optimistic.

They also managed to show around 162bhp from a 1.8T with just a panel filter. So that's 12bhp OTT straight away, then.

So you bought something with no soul and shit build quality instead.

Reply to
SteveH

Hold on. So later Superbs (that name is so ironic according to the motoring press - i've never driven or been in one tho so couldn't possibly comment ;-)) had 150bhp, but were sold as having 130bhp? Erm, that sounds a little unlikely to be fair....

Are you sure the rollers aren't just optimistic....?

Reply to
DanTXD

Woo. A rolling road readout from someone else with a vested interest in putting out high figures on their rolling road. Do you really thing VAG would produce a car that made considerably more power than standard without any of the insurance companies or magazines noticing the increase in performance? Do you think VAG would make a car go faster and not tell us about it, given the fact that power is a selling point? Do you really think VAG swap turbos and don't adjust the ECU map at all, and wouldn't realise it was up on power?

Do you really believe tuning companies with money riding on big power claims over a massive car company with even more money riding on the power put out by the car, motor journalists and the likes of Thatcham?

In other words, are you a bit thick?

Reply to
Doki

ISTR that under-quoting power outputs upsets TUV somewhat - can't remember the exact case but one of the german car manufacturers had to recertify a load of cars due to test samples making more than the documented power.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

They're actually "alright". Wrong wheel drive and tend to be diesel autos, but they're alright for cruising along in fifth. Loads of room for 4 up too. I'd have an XJ40 or X300 and several grand on spares instead though. Much quieter and right wheel drive.

Reply to
Doki

Far less likely to get you to the destination though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp