Well, 4.30 today it happened.

I'm redundant after 5 years of loyal service and minimal pay rises. People who have been there less, on 2-3 times the money on a sector of the company that is their new dream flagship, yet is costing them money didn't even get considered.

So, I'm free for this week, then on with the serious job hunting. The "package" will pay my bills for about 9-10 weeks, so no extravagent purchases or holidays, or extended time off.

Reply to
Elder

Sorry to hear that.

Consider your options and skills. Maybe you can become your own boss. I did it so there is no reason why you couldn't.

Best of luck!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

As did I. Can be hard starting, but once you become established it gets easier, and there's a certain satisfaction in knowing that nobody can just decide to fire you one day. IMO one has more job security, rather than less, as many believe.

Seconded. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks everyone who replied.

Going to potter arround this week doing a few odd jobs arround the house, sort out a decent interview suit (gained a lot of weight since I quit smoking, and my last two are looking weird now anyway), and start getting my CV out there.

Reply to
Elder

Not good... What do you do/what do you *want* to do?

Reply to
Abo

Redundancies announced - employee morale down, shareholders' wealth up.

Think about it like that - who would you rather be?

Be your own boss!

Reply to
fishman

Well, I'm a shareholder now. Two days before they announced the at risk list, I excercised the time served portion of my share options that matured at the time of floatation.

Reply to
Elder

You know, I have no idea. I've been thinking of getting out the web business and going back to just doing it as a hobby for some time now, but never got round to deciding what I want to do.

Reply to
Elder

You could do as I did and go back to uni, the pay sucks though. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

That was what got me into the web stuff in the first place.

I was stacking supermarket shelves, watched 17 year old at colege going off.

So I went to college, then Uni. Ended up building websites my self, then for a major london company. Moved back north because the missus wanted to be closer to her folks. my family are up here too.

Really wanted to go into journalism when I went to uni but ended up coding, then programming instead when I left. I guess I was caught up in the web geek culture like a lot of the nobodies in the 80's who ended up stock brokers.

Reply to
Elder

Back to uni having already graduated, or having got fed up, left, and worked for a bit?

Out of interest what age did you go back to uni?

Reply to
AstraVanMan
[...]

Pump and dump! ;)

All the best for getting a better job.

Alistair J Murray

2nd degree but I did drop out of the first one when I got an offer that meant I could learn more and get paid at the same time.
25 (not exactly old but I guess I get board easily.)
Reply to
Depresion

I think I was 25/26 when I went to Uni, but we had people in their

40/50's there.
Reply to
Elder

I think I need to wait for the certificate to come through don't I.

Reply to
Elder

Bad : Losing your job is tedious at the vey least.

Good : From what you've said over the past couple of years, you were being royally shafted while you worked there, so I'd say long term you stand a good chance of being in a better position as a result of this.

Good luck in finding a new job.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Have a read of this if you're ever feeling s**te - there's a hell of a lot of stuff in there that could probably apply to most people (just like in a lot of song lyrics).

(Got to finding that after listening to it over Faure's Pavane on some Footie Anthems CD - the one with Des Lynam reading it, that got played after Gareth Southgate missed that penalty all those years ago)

And not only does he write brilliant poetry, but he also makes exceedingly good cakes.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

it's a surprise for everyone mate we've all been given our redudancy packages but, knoiwing what i know, i know things others don't, but i've still decided to opt for it rather than them make it a compulsary thing

did they offer you voletary or was it a straight out, "sorry you ain't got a job no more, here's a cheap plastic trinket for your hard work which we've not paid you for" osrt of thing?

as others have said, it's probably a daunting world out there without a job, but self employed might be the way forward

good luck with the hunting (and the gardening :) )

Reply to
dojj

Oh yes : name and shame! (hmm - if you've got shares, maybe not)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

There was a voluntary option. It was worth =A3200 more if you took it, but we were warned that any=20 payment protection insurance wouldn't cover if you took voluntary. But it was only offered to the 25 people "at risk" anyway.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Elder