XR4x4

But equally, you've never owned a Beemer, and just because you have a hatred of them, doesn't make them s**te - you can't deny they're good cars whether you like them or not.

Reply to
DanTXD

Maybe, but the coupe does look really very nice, and looks is one reason people buy cars.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

My brother has had 2. Less reliable than my Alfas, and his E36 wasn't even as well built as my Alfa 75. I've driven them a few times, found them more than a bit disappointing. (OK, neither is a decent spec, but they definitely don't live up tot he hype and there's much better stuff around for similar money). I also have quite an experience of a variety of both FWD and RWD stuff, which is something Nom doesn't have.

Having said all that, even RWD isn't enough to make me buy any BMW made after about 1990.

Reply to
SteveH

On the whole, it's hairdressers and estate agents that buy them on looks alone.

Reply to
SteveH

Out of all my car owning friends, I'm the *only* one with a FWD repmobile ! It makes up a tiny fraction of my experience.

I'm quite amused by the way you just continually invent knowledge about me :) If it were anywhere near correct, then it would be spooky ! Luckily, it's not. Which is nice.

You must think that the majority of Joe Publics buy their Coupé's for the driving experience then !

So long, that it consists of one single car infact ! That's the entire reason that I bought the Pug. If it hadn't been cheap, I wouldn't have given in a second glance.

So, you agree it was among the best in class then. Thank goodness for that - I thought you were going to try and suggest there were lots of much better big coupes around back then !

Reply to
Nom

Wrong car, with the wrong badge, running the wrong fuel.

The only decent Skoda badged VW is the Superb, which is just a cheaper alternative to an A6.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh.

It's getting to the point now that my petrol bill outweighs my expenses, hence my thoughts turning to diesel.

Reply to
SteveH

Luckily I have enough money to spare, that I don't have to settle for the bland-o-box version. The Coupé-premium was money well spent - I was more than happy to fund the difference.

Reply to
Nom

Erm - the cougar drives as well, the C70 is bigger, the SLK is a two seater. C70/SLK came as drop tops too. CLK was one to have but much dearer. Or a

3er.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How many RWD cars have you *owned* - not ones that mates have owned that you've had a bit of a blat in - actually owned and covered tens of thousands of miles in?

So you readily admit that you don't give a toss how it drives.

When the class consists of one, and at a push, two not very good competitors, then it's nothing to shout about.

After all, the BMW 1-series is the best small RWD hatch on the market. However, it's a pile of s**te.

Reply to
SteveH

Then you're even more stupid than you come across on here.

Reply to
SteveH

I've probably crashed more rear drive cars than he's owned.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Lol.

Reply to
SteveH

Translation = I can't afford one.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Quite the opposite.

I could, if I wanted, take my pick from all sorts of stuff. E34 M5? - drop in the ocean. E38(?) M5? still quite affordable.

In fact, from about 1990 through to almost 2000 I could take my pick of just about anything they made.

Reply to
SteveH

You know, I kinda see the point here. I mean, when confronted with something as yawn-inducing as a 406 with the 'alright but hardly stellar' 24v lump (200bhp from 3.0 and 24v? Supras were doing that in

1986, using engines made of reclaimed horseshoes), the opportunity to have the same vehicle but with less space in the back, more expensive panels, but slightly prettier does seem appealing.

Admittedly not quite as appealing as say, something with a decent RWD chassis, an engine which isn't made of cheese, and as few components provided from PSA subsidiaries as possible.

But appealing, sort of.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I don't think that's really fair. I could have had a Z4 instead of the Beetle, but BMW's image is really awful here, and the cars are... so-so. I thought the Z4 soul-less, but not as badly made as the Z3.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

None.

I repeat : BMW have made plenty of *very* desirable cars over the past few years !

Why you think that is relevent to my ownership of RWD cars, has wooshed right over my head I'm afraid.

Well duh, I wouldn't be driving FWD repmobiles if I cared about the drive ! I like quiet, comfortable, spacious, quickish, loaded with toys, etc. - the Pug fits all these criteria perfectly.

Er, what the f*ck ?

YOU said "but there's a whole load of more capable stuff out there for similar money." !

And now you're agreeing that it's among the best in it's small class.

What exactly in it's small class, are you suggesting is more capable at being a repmobile ?!?!?

Reply to
Nom

interesting, I find the Z4 one of the most beautiful cars bmw has made in a long time..

Reply to
Theo

You certainly have, unless you've never crashed any :D

Reply to
Nom