XR4x4

B'stard.

Reply to
SteveH

Haltemprice isn't far from where I live!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

God, not only are they dull, they're more common than a Volvo 480...

I would. The 200bhp would be ending up where I wanted it.

Let me know what it hits 250K without needing a rebuild.

Non-trivial issues like a blown head gasket? Ah, so sir wouldn't count the convertible top frame braking after 18 months, the speedo being in KM/H at delivery, the door trim falling off, the gearbox rattling after

36K, and the coolant being black after 2 years (but the dealer refusing

- seriously - to change it because the schedule was 5 years), plus misfiring, refusal to start on two occasions, and the replacement roof being so stiff after six months that I just stopped trying to use it, as non-trivial issues, I suppose.

See, I consider that /anything/ going wrong on a new car is a non-trivial issue. If I want non-trivial issues, I'll buy a £50 banger, where any issue is trivial because you throw the damn thing away.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Work from home :D

(I do. I rarely drive for work).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I don't understand why you all insist that because he doesn't like RWD, he's wrong, just accept this is not uk.rec.driving and he doesn't give a flying f*ck which end is driven. For him, the 406 coupe was the right choice. Get over it. Why do you all care?

Since when was your 306 one of the 9 cars in his household?

Reply to
DanTXD

Because he, and you, wont do the same with me and my Volvo. So go f*ck yourself (meant in the nicest possible way) :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Care? I don't think anyone cares. Why? Because he doesn't want to accept that a car he doesn't like can be good. What is good for the Goose...

It was a Pininfarina built Peugeot. I think my experience of the car is relevant. I may well be somewhat harsh with my opinion of modern PSA hardware, but most consumer surveys back me up - Peugeots are crap, the dealers are crap, and Citroens share so much with Peugeot that they too, are now crap.

When you're talking about 406 Coupes and 607s, then they're /expensive/ crap.

Not that I felt the 306 was a bad car to drive. If they hadn't moved the seat over an inch to make room for the cabriolet sills it might have been comfortable, and it did hold the road well - though understeer was still abundant - despite having suspension so soft it dragged the mudflaps on decent windy roads.

But, my experience of owning a new Peugeot - added to my experiences with the 405 GLx4 and a couple of 205s - means that given the choice between owning a Volvo 360 and any modern Peugeot, I'd take the 360 every time.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I would if I could ! Unfortunately, I do quite a lot of physical installations onsite, so I'd still end up driving over there at least once a day.

Reply to
Nom

Not for my budget. If it's too much for you, then I suggest you find a better job.

Spot on.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

  1. uk.rec.cars.modifications has exactly *what* to do with driving ?!?!?!?

  1. alt.autos.peugeot is a maintenance group.

  2. I don't subscribe to any others.
Reply to
Nom

I would, but it's only done 44k so far, and I'll change it in 2-3 years, so it's not gonna get anywhere near :)

Sounds like you ended up with a right duffer ! I'm glad all ours haven't been the same...

I wouldn't know - I've never owned a new car, and I have no intention of doing so.

Reply to
Nom

Oh I dunno - a couple of them are on a pretty sizeable wage !

I think it's more the case that they're quite happy to drive around in pikey s**te, even though they could afford better if they wanted to. SteveH will tell you how it works.

Weirdly, the only one who's "into" cars, is the '52-plate Mazda 3 owner.

Reply to
Nom

No, you said, what shall i buy, we said, in our opinion the Volvo is s**te. If you look just up there a bit, you'll see Nom said spend it on what you like, its your money and you have to drive it. You can't ask for opinion then bitch when people don't agree with you.

Reply to
DanTXD

Nothing has gone wrong with mine yet :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

LOL - a car swapping party!

The married/attached guys here could combine it with a girlfriend/wife swapping party, and leave the Mrs in the car!

(disclaimer: joke)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well, Stu who posts to maintenance has just bought one, deciding on that over an E34/E39 Bimmer.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Wrong! You yourself said that the E38 is an excellent drive. And I reckon the E32/E34 are also good solid old-skool BMW build quality (some, like PeteM, might disagree, mind).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The Octavia would be more economical - VAG TDIs seem to be much better than PSA ones, particularly when thrashed, but it's still made of cheap interior materials, and looks bland. Ok, so the Xanty doesn't exactly look exciting, but I reckon it'd be a much more involving drive than the Octavia, especially one of the better models like the Activa. But then there's the fact that the PSA TDs are known for head gasket problems with a few miles on (150k), and I haven't heard of VAG TDIs suffering from that. Then again, a lot of PSA TD owners will probably pipe up and say that they know of one with 2 million on the clock, still on the original clutch and everything, so who knows.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

What I find ironic is that Nom doesn't like having anything that's "out of date". But he goes and buys a 406 - a model that's been around since around 1996, nearly ten years. Ok, his one was only 3 years old, but it's still an 'old' design by his standards. I'm not taking away from it in any way, it's a nice looking car. But the actual age of a particular car isn't the only thing defining how "old" it is, it's the age of the design as well. IMHO.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Are you talking PSA TD (XUD) or HDi? The latter are rather more economical. And too shiny for me...

Again, TD or HDi?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Ah righty. I don't bother with any of the other car groups I'm afraid :)

Reply to
Nom