'68 Frame Question

Does anyone know, (or can they measure their '68) what the distance is between the right and left rear frame rails are at the rear shackle point. Somebody is working on mine and I don't think it's correct.

Thanks for any help

Doug

Reply to
dellen38

If nobody answers this tonight, I can measure my '68 in the morning.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

You stil need this?

Reply to
CobraJet

Reply to
dellen38

Well, I can't get a measurement directly from rail to rail with the gas tank still in the car. What I have is 42 1/2" from center to center on the springs where they wrap around the shackle. This may not be a "blueprint" measurement as either spring can shift a little on the bushing, and the shackle itself could be a little tweaked.

If you need a critical measurement I suggest contacting a resto facility or find someone with a '67-'68 without a gas tank in place.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet, Thanks for going through the trouble getting that for me, it really helps a lot.

Doug

Reply to
dellen38

What happened, you get rear-ended?

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

No, I had to replace my rear frame rail sections. it rusted real strange. The rest of the frame is very solid, just at the rear by the shackles. This guy said "I know what I'm doing, don't worry". That should have told me to worry. Anyway, to find out, he didn't take any measurements prior to removing anything. I did measure before he started and now I find he's ¼" off after doing only the passenger side so far. I'd rather have it dead on and I was wondering what another car had (to make sure I was correct).

Doug

Reply to
dellen38

A half inch is way off already. If this guy made the right cut for the replacement to start with, he should be pretty much right on.

Sounds like you have a problem. If the front of the springs and the differential housing were still bolted up, then the shackle location should fall into place, unless he disconnected both shackles at the same time.

If the springs are off, the car is not going to go straight down the street. I'd consider any alternatives you may have.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet