How much power from a 5.8 roller motor

Will a stock AOD take the power of an EFI 351W/5.8? I'm considering this as a drivetrain for a daily driver '69-'70. I don't want to spend $2000 for a Lentech if the stock AOD will take the power. Yes, I know the T-5 would handle the power better, but I want to be lazy and use an automatic tranny.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Sure, with a shift kit, oil cooler, lower rear gears and non abusive driving habits.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

In other words, no. I blew 4 older (1988-1993) AOD 4th gears with motors rated at 205-225hp. That the older AOD was weak in this dept. is a known fact or defect, if you wonder why Ford released it with engines it couldn't handle the power of. No way it could take the output of an H.O. 351W. Even the current AOD which appears to be a bit better won't take extensive hard driving, especially from a 351W.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

I ran an 88 level AOD in my 66 Fairlane behind the 351W with 3.50 gears and the other aformentioned safeguards. I never hammered it into O/D, I knew better than that. I used 4th for what it was intended. The tranny was transplanted into another car with out needing to go into it for anything. Still works great, although behind a 5.0

Check out the 4R70W

Good luck

Reply to
W3tac8oe