Just for the fun of it...anyone want to appraise my car?

Reply to
Scott Williams

Precisely my problem in trying to determine the value. I'm not knowledgeble enough to know exactly how damaging the modifications are to the actual value of the car, thus my query and subsequent (yet unanswered) questions about restoring the original, but not exactly original parts.

Unfortunatley, the thread got a little side tracked. Considering this happens pretty much every time I join a new group, I'm thinking it's not everyone else's fault. ;^) So if you try my experiment, be sure to compare only with

Thanks for the helpful post, it's tough to find a good link through all the fluff. I still say $7, 500 is a little low.

Reply to
pawn

I stand by my original estimate. Unlike you, who has a vested interest in the car, I have stayed quite objective....................

Bill S.

pawn wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I wonder if you could respond to my questions regarding clarification of your "restore to original" advice. Let's not argue, let all just get along.

Reply to
pawn

Try quoting what I said, then I'll respond to it, as my news server drops messages after 5 days...............

Bill S.

pawn wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks.

Reply to
pawn

Must have missed that one. By restoring it "to original", you would need to find all of the properly date coded original style parts for the car. The trick here of course is to find the correctly date coded parts. Since your car was built with parts all sourced within just a few weeks of the actual build date. Then, you would have to use the correct nuts and bolts, followed by a correct detailing of the car. parts purchased from your local auto parts store just would not do, as everything would have to be original Ford parts. The question you have to ask yourself is a simple one "did I get the car as an investment, or am I planning to drive it"?.

Bill S.

pawn wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

To be clear, are you saying that, in order to consider my car "restored to original", the parts do not require to be the actual parts that came with the car, as long as the date stamps are correct? I.e., I'd be able to consider my car "all original"?

I'll be driving it plenty, but carefully. However, it's somewhat empty having a finished car. It would be exciting (I think) to, say, be on the lookout for a 260 and swap that out one day, etc.. I've got the car for the rest of my life so it's not really a money or urgency issue.

However, I wouldn't do a thing if there's no true difference between a non-original 286 and a non-original but properly date stamped 260. I'm not sure how clear I'm being. And again, this is just for fun.

Reply to
pawn

That is correct. The original date coded parts are what makes the difference. If you replace the 289 with a properly dated 260, swap back the generator instead of the alternator your on the right track. However, you must make sure that everything is "properly" detailed when it goes back together. Otherwise, your just spinning your wheels.

Bill S.

pawn wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
mookie

(sorry - wife's computer, mookie = pawn)

Reply to
pawn