Just How Fast ARE Those Damn FE's?

Current NHRA Record Holders: Stock Class.

9-inch tire, stock lift cam, stock cfm carb, factory-style intake manifold, original head castings with no porting allowed, factory rocker arms, factory OEM block, factory crank w/stock throw, .070" overbore permitted, factory compression ratio. Full interior at rated shipping weight, typically 3400 to 3575 pounds. No power adders, factory hoods.

A/S (the fastest Stocker in the world, 427 MR), D/S, F/S, B/SA, C/S.

Current NHRA Record Holders: Super Stock Class.

14-inch tire, rear tubs, wheelie bars, any lift solid roller cam (usually .750 to .775 for an FE), stock cfm carb, factory-style intake manifold, original head castings with porting allowed, any rockers and cam drive, factory OEM block, factory crank w/stock throw, .070" overbore permitted, factory compression ratio, interior, weight. No power adders, factory hoods.

SS/F, SS/G (LeBlanc shifts his Cobra Jet at 8300 rpm), SS/GA. I do believe that Shaun LeBlanc's GT/A Saleen is Cobra Jet-powered, also. (GT class is newer body with older engine).

For you small motor fans, observe SS/L and SS/LA, where most of the early 289 cars run. Years ago, before they allowed head porting, those cars were running low 11's with 10,000 rpm shift points under a 480 cfm Autolite carb. God only knows what they shift at now.

Carbs Rule!!!

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

"CobraJet" wrote in a message:

Oooooh....Look forward to be labeled a web site racer now by WINZE, and told that there is no way a small block will rev that high. Little do the younger crowd know what the older small blocks are capable of. ;-) But anyway, just imagine what a bigger cam, and tunnel ram intake with two 4v carbs would run! Or with a Hilborn mechanical injection unit running on Alcohol. Ahhhhh...Nothing like the smell of burnt Alcohol and burning rubber first thing in the morning!!!

Gary Drag Racers live by the code set down years ago: "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right".

Reply to
GEB

"GEB" wrote

Even the 7 main bearing 200 ci I-6 is good for a solid 7000 rpm blast when built right. Hell the 300 ci I6 made way more torque than the 302 V8 and was still rev happy up to the 7K range. Too bad they don't fit in most engine bays (unless you gotta truck).

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

If Glade could turn that smell into an aerosol air freshener, they could millions. More millions, I mean.

Well, I don't know Winze's outlook on things, but the rpm level of short-stroke carbureted Fords is well documented. My old '68 pulled to

8 grand in street confrontations easily (Torker, 750 Holley), and it was my daily driver. My friend Steve Sarnicki had a '68 GT (not a daily driver) with high compression, dual quads, and a .600" lift cam. I was *in* that car during a 9500 rpm blast. (Both our cars were 4-speeds).

However, the king of the revs on the track back then were the

351C's, as their heads could flow much more. Modified Production and Pro Stocks shifted between 10 grand and 11.5. The first time I clued into this was looking into Bob Glidden's Pinto in '71 and seeing a 12,000 rpm tach, with the shift needle set at 11,500.

I suppose "web site racer" is the modern version of "bench racer" from the old days. It doesn't bother me much that younger types don't understand what went on. You either experienced it or you didn't. I point to NHRA S and SS classes because those involved are the country's most creative racers at eeking out every little fraction of a horsepower within strict rules.

Here's a pic of one of the most notorious West Coast 289 cars, getting the jump on a 514-powered '65 Fairlane in practice:

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Nah, I haven't labeled anyone but GEB, made him out to be a liar and a magazine racer.

Reply to
winze

---- snip a bunch of neat Ford factoid links ----

So, Rick... are you gonna stick around for a bit this time or go scamper off again in a week or so as has been the norm for the last couple o' years? You're always such a tease.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Just for you winze...

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

"winze" wrote in a message:

Hahahahaha...Only in your dreams! How have you proved me to be a liar and a magazine racer? At least I post from past experience, unlike you posting information gotten from repair manuals or magazines. I only post here because I have a love for the Mustang, but my main interest is drag racing. I guess I'll just have to take my knowledge else where, where it is appreciated. So guys, whatever you do, if your trying to make your car go faster in the 1/4 mile, do yourself a favor, and don't listen to WINZE. If you do what HE says, you will only go slower. It's been nice knowing most of you. I'm outta here.

Gary Drag Racers live by the code set down years ago: "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right".

Reply to
GEB

You're gonna let some stupid ass like winze run you off this NG? Lame.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I don't scamper; I slither like the snake-in-the-grass I am. I have to go to CA this weekend to pick up a car, so I'll probably wrap it up here by Friday.

CobraJet TS#1

Reply to
CobraJet

wrote in a message:

No, I'm not letting him run me off. I'm just tired of his crap, and I have better things to do. I've been busy re-building a website for a friend of a friend, who happens to be an Elvis Tribute Artist. The guy that originally designed it for him disappeared and I was contacted to improve his site. In

1 weeks time, I've literally deleted all the files on his server and built him a site from the ground up. When I put the site back up, he had the people that run the Branson All Shook Up competition check the site out, and they said it was the nicest site of all the Elvis Tribute Artists, and wanted to know if I wanted to do sites for others. If you want to take a peek at it, go to
If you try and playany of the audio files from the music page or any of the videos, be preparedfor long downloads cause they are huge files. This will give you an idea whyI don't have time for WINZE's crap any longer. Gary Drag Racers live by the code set down years ago: "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right".
Reply to
GEB

Well... I'm a professional web-developer (and have been for 4 years--Master Certified & working on my degree) so it's not very impressive to me. It looks like a FrontPage generated site to be honest. I'm not saying it's ugly or anything... but just isn't something that would consume all that much time. As far as the artist... refer him to

and
to see if he'd have any interest. Seeing as how I'm the system administrator & web-developer (not web-DESIGNER--my coworker Marcus is great at that & builds everything from scratch) I can quite easily give a discount (if you catch my drift). Anyway... I still think you should stick around in the NG & just killfile winze or something. I agree he can act & sound like a retard, but it isn't nearly a good enough reason to stop visiting here.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

wrote in a message:

years--Master

Yea, it's done with FrontPage, only to get the guy back up quicker. I don't claim to be a professional, and really don't want to do it as a business. I don't have the time to do it manually, to create all the pages this guys wants. You should have seen the site that was done by another guy that thought he was a professional. It was a mess! I doubt the guy would be able to afford to pay a professional to do a site for him. I'm doing it as a favor for him because he is a friend of a friend of mine. The reason it is taking so much of my time is because he gets me on the phone for hours at a time to tell me all the things he wants done. Then he will call back an hour later to give me an updated list. Then calls back with changes. Some nights he keeps me up till 6 in the morning, and then is calling back at 10 in the morning. So you can see why I'm using FrontPage. I shouldn't have taken on this project to begin with, but I wanted to help the guy out.

Gary Drag Racers live by the code set down years ago: "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right".

Reply to
GEB

So tell him you want a finalized list of the web-site's design & structure & then you'll finish it. Pretty simple. I know how it is to be up until 6:00AM & then wake up again early.. *sigH*... for the past 2 weeks I've been going to bed at 3:00AM & waking up at 5:30AM-6:00AM & working some more... really kickin my ass too.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset