kinda OT: mobil 1 fuel economy formula

anyone ever used it? i'm thinking of putting it in the oldsmobeater, 0W 30 seems like a kind of weird grade though...

Jay

Reply to
Jay

I've been using 0w30 Amsoil for years.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Damn you... I can't find Amsoil anywhere locally. Not even O'Reilly, Hammons, or Autozone stocks it in my area. I'm thinking I'm going to hafta order online. Either that or Mobil 1... using Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) right now... but I'd like to give Amsoil a shot. How often do you change your oil? I've heard some really bizarre claims.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

First thing you might want to do is check out the Amsoil Vs. Mobil 1 tests at:

As to the weirdness of the 0W-30 spec, it's because this product is certified for: 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30.

The 0W-30 is rated at 35,000 oil change interval. At 6 months or

12,500 you do have to change the filter and add one quart.

Here's a link to the specs:

I have used Amsoil since 1982. They started in biz in 1973 so not some fly by night. I'm also biased as our gun rights group sells Amsoil to raise funds to get Illinois gun laws over turned. Only criminals and cops get guns in Illinois. I do run Amsoil in my Mustang Bullitt GT and Chrysler Pacifica.

I'll send a cool maintenance spec sheet to anyone who wants one:

John Birch

Castrol Full Synthetiic is not synthetic. It's hydrocracked bean oil. I should also mention that the previous owner of my Mustang used Syntec and changed from 3000-5000 miles regularly starting with the first oil change and when I replaced my cam and heads there was a varnish build up on the non wear surfaces. I change mine one time a year over the Christmas holidays.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

at 07 Dec 2003, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:%mAAb.3$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

You are aware of the fact Castrol Syntec uses a non syntethic, Group 3, base? As does Amsoil. Mobil 1 uses group 4 or 5 synthetic bases.

Reply to
Paul

I'm trying Royal Purple at this time. I've not change it yet but will for the first time next week. I change mine every 3 months as it would take me a year to drive 5000 miles.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Oh and I might add John I used Amsol in a 80 Toyota Celica that was road raced for 3 years. The car now has over 300,000 miles on it with the original engine. We did change the oil after every race when it was road raced, though now about every 5000 miles. It still runs extremely well I might add. The only thing that stopped me from running it in my Mustang is how hard it is to get sometimes around where I live.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Incorrect. ONLY the XL7500 uses that base, none of the other Amsoil oils do. They would not outperform Mobil 1 if they did.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Dammit... looks like I'm going to hafta order Amsoil online now. Apparently Castrol Syntec blows hairy goat balls & so I'll stop using it now...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at 07 Dec 2003, WindsorFox[SS] [ snipped-for-privacy@SPAMcox.net] wrote in news:i0KAb.50126$yM6.41078@lakeread06:

You are correct. That XL7500 was supposed to be there but I guess my fingers outsped my brain. ;-(

I've had bad experiences with Amsoil and my leaf blower & trimmer so I am very weary of using it in my Mustang. I'll stick with Mobil 1 as so far I've only had good experiences with that in multiple vehicles.

Reply to
Paul

3 people I know that used it other than myself, but other people swear they naver had a problem. Of course I guess you can pat a gator on the snoot for years and never have a problem. Just like a pitbull. I order mine ahead and keep some on the shelf as I'm a dealer and have a couple of friends that buy it from me.
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Well it seems that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1... how often do you need to change the oil filter? Won't a lot of oil escape?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Still peddling Spamsoil huh? Some things never change.

As for Spamsoil being better than Mobil1, never take the manufacturers word for it, such as Amsoil for instance. I wouldn't take Mobil's word for it either.

You can find all the information you ever wanted and then some at

and they aren't selling either.

Anth>

Reply to
Anthony S

You are one untrustworthy person. Doubtful Mobil or Amsoil would publish fake test data especially as the tests are all standardized and easy to reproduce.

A good site for basic info. Glad to see it's supported by Amsoil dealers. Thanks for turning me on to this place.

John

Reply to
John Birch

Escape? Umm, well I have to add a 1/2 quart every 2-4 months depending on how much driving and racing I do. There are people in this group that will really indignant and call you names for even using Amsoil let alone going by their change interval, and some will congradulate you. I go by the Amsoil guideline of 12 months or 35,000 miles and filter change every 6 months. I put maybe 15K a year on it.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

No, I have not peddled anything. I DARE you to find any post by me EVER trying to sell Amsoil to anyone. I mearly answered a question posed to the group with what information I have. As for things never changing, when are you going to grow up and not act like a ten year old? It makes me wonder how accurate your test on air filters were because of your accusations, but notice I never said anything to that effect when you were doing it.

So Mike, If you DARE to try the horrible Amsoil and even consider believing that nasty people that would try to give you technical info about it, you see what you have to deal with. And God forbid you actually try to back up a point, that's when the name calling and personal insults will start. Incidentally, Yes I am a dealer, but I have no website and have never offereed to sell oil to anyone on the net ever, especially in a newsgroup. Reguardless of the insults I will answer any question the best I can and gladly tell you what I do and do not use.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I dunno.. I thought oil might leak out while ur changing the filter... I always drain the oil first & then remove the filter when I change my oil. As far as people calling me names for using Amsoil... if only I gave a rat's hairy flea infested ass. I'll at LEAST give it a shot & if it isn't worth using or something is in fact better (perhaps Mobil 1, perhaps not..) then I'll try the something that might be better.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Amsoil's XL-7500 (7,500 mile rated oils and lowest cost) are group 3. They are entry level oils mainly for people obsessed with changing oil every weekend. The XL Series 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 lubricants are specifically made to compete dollar-wise with the Syntec's of this world and for use in Quick Lube facilities.

All other Amsoil lubricants are Group 4 and all beat Mobil 1. Of course that is Amsoil testing. You won't see Mobil 1 contesting the results nor providing conflicting test data, nor suing Amsoil for false claims. Amsoil synthetics are Polyalphaolefins (PAOs) (Group 4) and all packaging reflects that fact.

The assertion that Amsoil is group 3 is either made out of ignorance or out of a deliberate attempt to harm the reputation of Amsoil.

As to Group 5 oils. These oils may well be Glycol based and are often for turbine engines. If you put a Group 5 oil in your crankase you may as well top it off with Anti-Freeze while you are at it. I seriously doubt Mobil 1 sells a Group 5 oil as the odds are it would ruin whatever internal cumbustion engine it was used in. If anyone has any knowledge of a Group 5 motor oil please document it here. I can find nothing about a Mobil Group 5 oil on their web site.

Anyway, lubricant base stocks are graded 1 to 5. Here is the definition of Groups 3 to 5.

Group III (Castrol, Amsoil XL) Hydroprocessing and Refining: Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of mineral oil refining of the base oil groups. Although they are not chemically engineered, they offer good performance in a wide range of attributes as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. They are commonly mixed with additives and marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic products. Group III base oil products have become more common in America during the past decade.

Group IV (Amsoil, Mobil 1) Chemical Reactions: Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAOs) are a common example of a synthetic base stock. Synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications.

Group V (No One): As Indicated Group V base oils are used primarily in the creation of oil additives. Esters and polyolesters are both common Group V base oils used in the formulation of oil additives. Group V oils exhibit a wide variety of properties specific to each individual oil's formulation. Group V base oils are generally not used as base oils themselves, but add beneficial properties to other base oils.

If you would care to compare and contrast the following info provided by Mobil 1 and Amsoil may be of interest:

MOBIL 1 0W-30

AMSOIL 0W-30
Note only Amsoil provides wear test data. For whatever reasons Mobil 1 refuses to provide this info and also declines to contest Amsoil's results.

John Birch

John Birch

The only other difference I've noticed between the two brands is that Mobil 1 doesn't recommend extended oil drain intervals. This seems to be the crux of most anti-Amsoil (I use Mobil 1, but am considering Amsoil) arguments. I always figured that Mobil wouldn't recommend extended drain intervals because of their sweet deals with the car manufacturers and their direct link to gas/petroleum industry. Is it just me or does no one else see through that crap...

FWIW the sheriff's office I work for is switching to Amsoil as I type this. They are doing filter changes at 10K and oil & filter changes at 20K. They are also going to change the transmisson fluid at 40K and never change it again. Most of these cars (the ones that don't get wrecked) will see at least 125K miles. Some Texas DPS units have been using Amsoil with good results, that's why our sheriff (former DPS) was willing to give Amsoil a try.

Nice site John!

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's

66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill