Mustang versus Vette

"Guys" "drool" over cars? You all gotta get a life. And maybe a woman too.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

I need a woman..... and a life! Fuck I am working 24/7 =(. *Slobbers on Brad* take that!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Yeah, even though I'm a "Mustang guy," I have to make the argument that higher dollar items tend to be higher quality and throwing money at a lower quality item may not be the best idea DEPENDING on what you want in the end. If you are going for pure horsepower then yeah, sure, put $18K into an 05 Mustang GT and wow! Fast & fun. Not much different comparison than if you buy a Civic and put tons of money into it vs. buying something that comes stock prepared to go fast (Mustang GT).

But would I take the Vette? No. I'm not a "Vette guy," hehe :) If I had that kind of money to spend on a car I might buy the highest end convertible Audi I could get.

But alll that aside, this "Mustang guy" is drooling over the 05 GT convertible and scheming as to how I can get one this Summer!

Scott

96 GT Convertible 3.73 gears
Reply to
Scotter

"SVTKate" wrote in news:FKfLd.3042 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I don't like it myself. I miss flip lights. It looks too much like a Viper

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Depends. I never buy a car to sell. I think that is a very moot point. If i put 18k into a car for performance upgrades, i amkeeping it till the bloody thing falls apart, or i die

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

I have one of those parked in my garage. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:05:21 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Me too, although I really wouldn't call it "Parked"

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Unfortunately mine is parked. It runs but is way down on power and I haven't had the time or will power to diagnose the problem. I plan to retire the blower and install a 427W in it so that is one reason I don't want to spend too much time on it.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:02:25 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well mine will; run too. I actually got a wild air up my ass and fired it up on the engine stand. One of these days it will get back in the frame, when I finish it that is.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Here's hoping you never lose your job, have your car stolen, or suffer any number of other unexpected events which will leave you with a car where you spent/owe more on it than you could sell it for/recover in an insurance settlement.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:50:42 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote something wonderfully witty:

That is why there is this wonderful thing nowadays called gap insurance. Back in the day people used to put enough down on a car and only finance it for 36-months so they were rarely if ever upside in a vehicle. Nowadays almost everyone who finances is upside-down on the day they drive off the lot. Hence, step in good old gap insurance.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Gap insurance only covers the difference between what you owe on your car and what your insurance company gives you on your claim. It will NOT cover the $18,000 in performance upgrades (for which you paid cash).

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:47:53 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote something wonderfully witty:

I was speaking to the "owe" portion of the equation. Dumping 18k in performance parts is nothing different to the thousands of dollars worth of stereo equipment some people dumb into their cars when it comes to theft or other complete loss scenarios. Anyone who dumps 18k CASH into his/her car isn't going to have to worry about making the payments now are they?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

True, buying a car as an investment is foolish. The onyl ones that it would be somewhat interesting for is limited production cars like the Ford GT, plus you can't drive them. Park and look at it. What fun is that ?

Rein

I'd say any new car will get that. The new Mustang gets that too. Hell, my 03 Cobra STILL gets that. People drive by sticking their thumbs up. People asking questions at gas-stations. Tell you the truth, I have to point out to friends that that is the new vette, it isn't THAT different from the C5. The new Mustang however...

Rein

Tell you the truth, the quality of a vette isn't all that great. I've driven the C5 extensively and the quality really isn't that much better than a mustang.

Rein

Rein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So you're saying that the Corvette's build quality isn't all that great, but it's better than the Mustang's? IOW, the Mustang's build quality is worse than the so-so Corvette's?

Joe

No, It's carefully saying that it doesn't look like a 50K sportscar. I see quality issues in a corvette that shouldn't. I don't have any long term experience with a corvette, but from what I have seen it's not all that great. The leather seats for example, There's not way in hell the will last long, and the seats in my 03 cobra will outlast them for sure. There are leaky window issues on this model.. The center console opening is weird and feels like it could break off anytime, The door/roof rubbers look like it won't hold up,etc etc. I can go on for a while. This is an 03 vette, with the same amount of miles as my 03 Cobra.

Rein

That's fine, but you'll still be faced with an $18,000 loss.

Freudian slip?

Actually, that $18,000 worth of upgrades was undoubtedly financed using high-interest credit cards.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

That never happened with either of the new Cobras I owned, including my Yo! Officer!! Yellow '03 Cobra convertible.

You obviously haven't driven one, or even sat inside one. ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán