New 5.0 vs 2000 Cobra R

I thought it was interesting to compare the peak numbers from my own

2011 GT and the number MM&FF obtained when they tested one back in March 2001.

At the wheels:

New 5.0 -- HP = 382.6 // TQ = 370.9

2000 R -- HP = 371.8 // TQ = 385.0

(FYI -- the R went 12.58 @ 110 // with wing/splitter removed and drag radials added = 12.40 @ 112)

Second test (stock) -- 12.51 @.111.94

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

how is 2011 off the line? peeling out? when ford went to electronic throttle, they had put a delay or a "bog" in the firmware, so when you stepped on the gas, it would not accelerate full blast, it would delay several seconds then creep in, I guess to makeit drivable by old ladies etc. I had a 1993 8# KB, but that bog in the newer mustangs kept me away.

Reply to
huhie

Got a flash for you, ALL cars do that. They all have "drivability" in them so your mom can get in and move it without wasting rubber. That was the single biggest change for me when I got a programmer for my Titan.

Reply to
WindsorFo

could you program it all the way out ?

Reply to
huhie

Note: I have a 6-speed. With the traction control (TC) off, if I'm super aggressive, let's just say it sometimes takes considerable effort to keep the back end from passing the front end.

The only bog I've felt is when the TC is on, I hammer it and the tires start to break loose. . . Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

I need to Test Drive it !

Reply to
huhie

I need to test drive one, what is the cost range? I would probably get one with out the frills. I sold the 93 as I had not driven it in a year, and it had a new vibration or two, I was really tired of working on it, but it was very fast, in top shape, except for the vibration crap, could be the rebuilt engine, had it for 13 years. Thanks!

Reply to
huhie

My '07 bog is only noticeable when blipping the throttle on downshifts with the fly by wire setup. It's slight but noticeable to us old school guys. The bog or delay is about double the normal fuel injection delay compared to a carb motor. I've been too cheap to reprogram mine.

Reply to
repairman54

.

That's what I did and it cost me less than $30Gs. And I'm sure there are some leftover/low-mileage '11s out there that are bargain priced.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

What I refer to does not allow you to change programming, none that I know of do. That would be dangerous and there would be derps blowing engines and throwing rods. What it does is allow you to swap the stock program with one of several in the programmer. Mine has Economy, tow, 89 octane performance and 93 octane performance. But even the economy changes the way it reacts to the throttle.

Reply to
WindsorFo

LOOKS =3D Cobra R by a long-shot.

Reply to
Rich

I say remove the R's dorky rear wing, it's almost a stupid looking as the WRX STi's, and you have an argument.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

That's funny, I have a 2011 GT. I thought it was me (or worse a problem with the car) that caused that "dead spot" when you first step on the throttle. I would never change it though. Yes, it was to make the car drivable by your Mom, but you're talking about a machine that goes 0-60 in 4.8 sec...I can live with that. Plus my goal is to keep the car as bone stock as possible. Whenever I watch Barrett-Jackson, the car that fetch the highest prices are the most original, and unaltered from when it left the factory.

Ken

Reply to
Ken H

A 2000 model?? No way.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Yes but that change is done electronically with the programmer and is undone as easily as it's done. It's not permanent and it's not something you can see.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Hi, how much of it can you take out by programming it? say if the bog was 1 sec long ?

I used to lean forward to counter the acceleration from standstill in the '93 with 8# boost, But in the newer mustangs, I would keep leaning/going forward almost into the steering wheel, before the acceleration picked up. But I haven't test drove anything new than 2008

Reply to
huhie

That is car specific, and something you need to discuss with the programmer tech department.

Reply to
WindsorFo