OT: Cadillac To Soon Join The 500 HP Club?

Yet another sign today's horsepower war is at the nuclear stage.

-------- "As if the 400-horsepower CTS-V Series isn't enough, we photographed General Motors' Performance Division engineers testing an even higher performance version.

Referred to as the CTS-V Series Plus by spectators at the Nürburgring, this CTS mule is said to be powered by a 6.0-liter V-8, and sources are estimating the horsepower to be in the 475-500 range. General Motors is aggressively testing this more powerful CTS, but production plans have not yet been confirmed.

The vehicle show here is actually an older CTS-V mule. The higher-performance CTS-V Plus uses a larger-displacement pushrod small-block engine, so the hood hump should disappear in production."

----------

Who would have every thought Cadillac would ever build a 500 HP sedan?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Well, if the early 70's gas didn't destroy the evolution...

Of course now that our "cheap" places are almost $2.30/gallon, will we see the return of the Citation? How about the 2006 Pinto?

Steve

72 Skylark

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Please, just shoot me now...

//Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

No you have to be around for the 2007 revival of the Vega and the Dodge Omni!

Super power house automobiles!

Reply to
Ralph Snart

I just hope they don't rip the guts out of the new '05 and call it the Mustang III...

Funny (and sad) how history has this tendency to repeat itself.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

PERFECT!! Now that gas is closing in on $3 a gallon, it couldn't be better timing.

In a year or two, you'll be able to find lot of very powerful cars (4 cylinder trade-ins) sitting in used car lots and priced real cheap. Been there and done that.. twice.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Ironic isn't it ??

Police Agencies all over N.America have been SCREAMING at Ford for YEARS to increase the Power of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor!!

A 2004 P71 (CVPI) spits out a measly 239 HP !!!

WAKE UP FORD !!!!!!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Starting back in 1971-72 era, it was the Insurance Industry, Feds AND high gasoline prices that KILLED last the Horsepower War.

Why aren't the Insurance Industry and Feds jumping on High Horsepower cars like they did in the past ??

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I meant only "250" Horsepower in 2004 CVPIs.

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I don't know about the feds, but the insurance industry probably realized that they actually make more money when people have more powerful vehicles.

First, they get to charge higher premiums from the start, just because of the HP rating. Second, they're probably thinking more power = more temptation to go fast = more likely to get a ticket = an excuse to raise premiums even higher = Profit!

(You know what "IIHS" really stands for, right? It's the Insurance Intrigue for Higher Surcharges.)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Remember how Chrysler almost died because they kept only big cars right up until the late 1970s? could happen again, depending on what happens with oil.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Wel, between CAFE standards and the insurance companies, it IS happening again...

Reply to
Ralph Snart

So you're saying that Ford should slap the Mach 1 drivetrain in it and call it a day?

There's no sense in trying to keep up with supercars. It's only going to mean that another idiot dies going way too fast. The local guys around here can't seem to pilot their P71's around with their measely power ratings without hitting things with regularity. The state boys are a little better, but what's the difference? The radio can call in for backup and block the road off well before that Crown Vic is going to get motivated to catch a

500hp Cadillac.

Besides, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches... just about any crotch rocket you can think of... will still easily outrun it.

JS

Reply to
JS

I might take an '06 Pinto Turbo, or I might hold out until '07 for the Omni GLH-S. Preferrably the Omni, as long as they can make one that doesn't rust out almost immediately.

;-)

There's a bright side to everything. Look at all of the used Cobras that are going to be laying around if gas goes insane. :-)

I should get a picture... they're building a new gas station by my house and the sign is electronic. They're doing burn-in testing of the sign or something, and the prices listed are...

87 Octane - $5.559 89 Octane - $6.669 93 Octane - $7.779

I was amused....

JS

Reply to
JS

Well, it's already happened. It's called the Prius and Insight and a number of other names.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers