Re: Stupid Car Tricks

"CobraJet" wrote

Y'all need to contact "Pimp My Ride" at MTV for that s**te.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"C.H." wrote

The point was that your BIG engine is smaller than my small block (even if it may weigh more than some big blocks after the electronic bloat factor is added in), nothing more. Plus, discussing 1/4 mile times re: a car built for SR-2 T/A racing is a waste of time. Oh, and if you really want to discuss

1/4 mile times; what car won the recently televised Vintage Muscle Car Shootout?? Ah yes, a bone stock Boss 429 Mustang. :)
Reply to
66 6F HCS

Oh Yeeeaaaaaaaa... unh huh..... right.... I bet you say that to all the girls!

:-D

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

The 346 is bigger than the engines of about 90% of passenger cars on the road here in California. In my book that is big. If you disagree, that's your right, I am not going to fight about it.

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

My mom thinks "a little pep" is when her '93 Merc Topaz 4 banger actually runs. :)

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I rather doubt that an aluminum smallblock weighs more than any bigblock. On the other hand the 'bloated electronics' gives me a wide powerband, good peak power and torque and excellent mileage. If it is not for you, that's ok with me.

As far as I can tell the headline says 'Re: Stupid Car Tricks', not 'Re: a car build for SR-2 T/A racing', so pay attention when posting next time. Oh, btw, I doubt your carbed 351 would outrun me in stock form on the track, nor your stroked '351' a stroked LS1.

And what was its trap speed and ET?

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

"C.H." wrote

Fully dressed LS6= 497.2 lbs Fully dressed new Shelby 427= 460 lbs

Actually YOU were the one who brought up my quarter mile times, not me. Let me quote you.

Looks like YOU need to pay better attention to what you type, unless your name is also Cybil. And why the f*ck would I care if I could outrun you or not in the quarter with a bone stock 351W. That's not the real world.

Who cares, the point, which you never seem to get the first time, is that of all the ground pounders that came out of the hey day of Musclecardom and your wet dreams, the Boss 429 is King of the Quarter. I never made ANY comparison to modern FI cars.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Yeah, sure 346 is big in your book, and compared to the typical passenger car engine of today, but that doesn't mean crap. The fact of the matter is that 346 is not a lot of cubic inches. 390 is getting there, but you really gotta be above 400 to have a truly big motor. 427, 460, 554, or even bigger. I don't delude myself thinking the small block in my Galaxie is anything special. It's a tiny little 306. Yeah, sure I've got closed chamber 289 heads on it, a better intake and carb, and a few other little tricks, but it's not making any more than 40-50 HP over stock. It's still a tiny engine, in a big car no less. I don't get why some people tell me it must be great to have a big V8 in my car. I just look at them with a blank stare. In stock form I could keep up with most newer cars, and now I'm quicker than most, but I certainly wouldn't call my car fast. It's a big car with a small engine and a 2.8:1 rear end which gives that little motor very little leverage to move a car that weighs about two tons.

Moral of the story being, us classic car guys, let alone us Ford guys, don't delude ourselves thinking that if we have a small engine it's miraculously huge by virtue of all modern cars having tiny engines.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

I am keeping my eyes open for a good 200-240 cube 6 banger compact-midsize classic Ford with a manual transmission, preferably 3 on the tree (a floor shift can get in the way, if you catch my drift), unless it's one of them pseudo-toploader where 4th is overdrive. The idea being to have a cool classic car that will be reliable and never let me down (neither of my Galaxies have ever let me down, more than I can say for the two modern cars I've owned), and be fuel efficient. My '68 Galaxie burns 89 octane and gets

14-15 MPG typically (less when I play), the highest I've seen is 16.4, but I've not reproduced that. I figgure a Falcon or Ranchero with a 200 cube 6 banger and 3 speed manual would get upwards of 20 MPG. If I had one of them fancy 4 speed overdrives I figgure I could approach 30 MPG on the highway. I know a guy who used to have a Falcon with a 6 banger and 3 on the tree that claimed he got nearly 30 MPG on the highway.

I drove my dad's Geo Prizm up to Maine one year for vacation (460 miles each way) and it averaged 31 MPG on the highway. Hell, I'll trade a couple MPG to drive a fun car with character that's still fuel efficient, and much more practical and comfortable, especially for a tall guy like myself.

So yeah, I'm thinking I'd like a Ranchero most (most practical), with a Falcon being close second, though I would also consider a Fairlane or Mustang if the right car came along for the right price. They have their place. However, as far as modern cars like the Mustang with a 6 banger, it's pointless. Who in tehir right mind would blow a crapload of money on a new car that's gutless. Hell, even my heavy Galaxie with it's tiny 306 can smoke new V6 Mustangs. If you're gonna get a slow car, you may as well get one that is cool.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

*Contact* them? Who do you think is doing half the wrenching on those cars? Don't you *think* they look like an old fart on acid designed them?
Reply to
CobraJet

Before RFG I could get low-mid 20s out of my '75 maverick 3spd (column) with

200cid I6. It also had a 19 gallon fuel tank, so I fillups were far between.

Reply to
Brent P

Pimp-my-ride is a hack show... did you see the one with the mustang? They can get floor pans made for the car fed-ex overnight and instead they weld in flat sheet metal....

Reply to
Brent P

Now wait just a damn minute here. There's a *real* world? I thought this is it. And all this time I thought the IRS agents at my door were from a parallel universe. You know, AOL.

Reply to
CobraJet

Yeah really. A bunch of ghetto-a**ed lamers. It's all about their "bling bling" and "blang blang". Apparently the "bling blang" aroudn their neck is so big and heavy (not to mention hideous) that the resulting lack of curculation to their brain has not utterly destroyed whatever sense of self-respect these punks may have once had.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Slanted view, as Cal is the import shitbox capital of the U.S.

Well, the nomenclature goes "Small block" and "Big block". Not even Chevy calls the LS1 a Big block. My rights have nothing to do with it.

Reply to
CobraJet

So IOW That CobraJet guy has a small engine too because there were much bigger engines earlier in history, e.g. a Blitzen Benz with a 1275ci inline four. Sound logic.

Hey, CobraJetty, welcome to the world of small engines which Cory has cast you down into :-)

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

Ok, let me rephrase that: I rather doubt that an aluminum smallblock weighs more than any of the iron bigblocks of the times CobraJet so adores.

I did not deny that. I merely stated that you posted into the wrong thread or that you were unable to read and understand the subject line.

You chided me for supposedly brining up quartermile times in a thread that you claim was titled something with T/A racing, whereas the real subject of the thread had nothing to do with T/A racing so I see no reason why I shouldn't bring up quarter mile times.

And concerning T/A racing, if you want your Boss's ass kicked to Neverland, try to run a LS1-F-Body or a '04 Mustang Cobra on any roadrace course.

I think you have a little problem with either understanding how usenet works or with reading and understanding Postings and Subject lines. I have no idea who Cybil is and where this 'T/A'-thread is happening, but this is not your T/A thread.

346' have no problem running significantly faster than your adored Boss and so can a whole bunch of Muscle cars, notably a '69 Roadrunner, a'70 Hemi Cuda, a '70 Chevelle SS.

Maybe the Boss Mustang war the fastest Ford of its time, but the Hemis and even several Bigblock GM cars kicked it's butt, so I suggest you get your numbers straight before bragging.

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

Actually, no. My TV is hooked only to a DVD player. No time for regular programming.

And people watch that shit? Geez, nothing like feeding the clueless.

Reply to
CobraJet

I very probably know more of the United States than you do and I cannot remember any state, where Bigblocks were a majority of cars on the road or even close to that.

I see. So your engine is big because it is called big by some marketing geek who has been dead 20 years?

If you take engine size there were much bigger engines in history thus yours is a fairly small one.

If on the other hand you take the number of cars on the road, both engines (the 346 and your xxx-Ford) are big.

I can't wait to see you define your way out of this corner, meanwhile excuse me while I get a bag of popcorn.

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

I own 30 cars. How do you know one of them isn't a Blitzen Benz?

Darn you, Cory.

I'll let you in a little secret, Chrissy. I own more small blocks than anyone in this group, too. I'll send you some pics, if they ever let me out of here.

Reply to
CobraJet