Removing old grommet

There is a rubber grommet through which an elbow passes on top of the valve cover. The elbow then connects via hose to the air cleaner. I want to replace the stock air cleaner and place a breather in the valve cover. The problem being the old grommet is very hard and not removable without a chisel. Is there any way to soften the grommet for easier removal? I don't want to remove the valve cover if I don't need to. Have heard to apply paint thinner to the grommet as this will soften it. Any ideas?

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

Every time I try to remove a grommet in the condition you describe it just breaks off and falls into the engine. Save yourself some aggravation remove the valve cover first.

Reply to
IronRod

"goodnigh" wrote in news:21xVg.10726$UG4.10608 @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Try heat. Works wonders. A heat gun set on high aimed at it for a few minutes will soften it.

Reply to
elaich