steeda sway bar

I just received my Steeda rear sway bar for my 96 Cobra. For lack of good terminology, it did not come with the "things that go over the bolt holes." Do I need to transfer these from my old bar to this new one? They look like they might be hard to get off.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve B

I had to re-use my "things that go over the bolt holes", when I had to replace my broken rear sway bar. If you use a flat head screwdriver to wedge under them, you can slide each side just enough out of the holes to get the clips to slide off. You may need to use a second flat head to keep a liberated side from slipping back. Getting them on the new one is a bit easier, but watch your fingers! They tend to pop right back into those holes quickly.

On a side note, when hearing I broke the rear sway bar, I got three different responses:

Most people:

"What's that?"

Everyone else, except one person (also the second question after getting the first response): "How did you do that?"/"What the **** were you doing when that happened?"

The guy who owns the Mustang performance shop: "So, that finally snapped on ya?"

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -- Rod Serling

Reply to
Larry Dennis

yes, re-use the metal clips from the old sway bar.

I broke the one on my 96 and replaced it with the steeda. It was tricky getting it installed, but be patient. The bolt holes will eventually line up.

Reply to
Marc

Man, you weren't kidding. That was two hours of my life I'll never get back. :) Those holes are a big time pain to get lined up. I could have used another hand to adjust the bar while I tried starting the bolts...

Reply to
Steve B

yep....it was a 2 hour job for me too. I also installed mine alone. what a pain it was.

Reply to
Marc

I installed mine alone was well. Ended up use a jack stand as a spare set of "hands", to keep the other side close to being in place.

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -- Rod Serling

Reply to
Larry Dennis

Is the Steeda bar that hard to install? I put a stock '83 bar on my '97 Cobra in 25 minutes with hand tools, the car on the ground, all by myself, with spectators. Did it at work on break. That counts having to remove the stub of the old bar that I'd left in there. I removed the large part that was slapping the bottom of the car a few weeks before.

JS

Reply to
JS

Mine wasn't the Steeda replacement bar, and it didn't take me more than 30 to

45 minutes. The biggest problem was getting the bolts into the holes straight with the other end hanging down. Thus the jack stand.

--Larry

-------------------------------------------------------------------- It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper. -- Rod Serling

Reply to
Larry Dennis

I guess the jack stand method would work... I actually just got my foot over to the other side of the car to support the bar. I also only put the front bolt in on one side, then used that as leverage to put the other front bolt in. After both fronts were in, just pushing up anywhere on the bar would raise it up enough to get the back hole to line up. I also didn't have the car up in the air, and was at work, so a jack stand wasn't available at the moment.

JS

Reply to
JS