TECH - Oil pressure drops on a fresh 3.8V6

Hi:

I have a '95 with a freshly rebuilt/built up 3.8 (Thanks Mr. Head Gasket!) with less than 1,000 miles on it. Recently, after driving long enough for the motor to warm up, the oil pressure will DROP when the car gets under 1,000 RPM (like at a stop light). If I nudge the tach over 1K, the pressure picks back up and stays up until I get to another stoplight.

This morning, I turned the car on and let it idle for about 20 minutes, and the pressure was still fine. I got in and revved the motor (with the trans in park) for about 5 minutes, still fine. I put the car in gear (drive) and BOOM, it flew back down. Revved +1K, and it came back up again.

I've checked the oil level and it's fine. I'm guessing the oil pump is going?

Thanks,

-john

Reply to
John Witham

My guess is the gauge, as mine has always done this on my 90 GT. Scared me when I first noticed it, until I put a real gauge on it. I suggest you check it with a real gauge before investing in a new oil pump.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

I'd leave this up to whatever warranty was extended on the motor...

Jim Warman