Two kinds of idiots

I have seen this situation so many times I cannot tell you. Since my husband worked heavy construction nearly all of his life we tend to be extremely contentious in construction zones. We KNOWwhat it's like for the guys working out there and we want to see each and every one of them make it home at the end of their shift.

I have many times had people really angry at me for driving the posted limit, or big trucks drive rught up my tailpipe. There comes a point where you feel that you must go faster to avoid being rammed from behind.

It's situations like this that can get very dangerous. I DO wish that they would require the construction speed signs be covered when the crews have gone home. So that normal traffic can flow. If the road conditions permit it of course.

Even if a soul isn't on the site, if you exceed the speed limit in a construction zone, you can get popped with a double fine... for endangering no one. I think that is bullshit.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

"Brent P" wrote | | I even know that as an adult I cannot legally ride a bicycle on the | sidewalk. Numerous driver's insist on it however. The law states to use | the road and ride by the letter of the IL vehicle code. |

When was the last time you tried to ride a bike on the street?

We bought dirt bikes several years ago, decided to ride along the canals. The sheriff's department kicked us off. A couple of old folks, riding biked for exercise. The streets were't safe, so we sold the damn bikes and said ta-hell-with-it.

Out here in Tennessee, there is no f-ing way I would try to ride a bike on the road. These people drive like idiots. Even worse than California.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:F_adnZthB-QIi snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Like I already posted, if it's a risk to drive the limit because everyone else is driving 10mph above, then by all means go with the flow. But also realize that you could be singled out and given a ticket with points. It's your choice.

Speed limits are an effort to prevent idiots from killing themselves and others. A lot of them are too low, but nonetheless they're there.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:F snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I fully understand what you wrote. I simply put it in extreme terms to make my point.

As I said in another post, I'll respond based on the first response. You've been top posting, so I have. Your response was a bottom post, so I simply followed suit. Hope that's not too difficult to understand.

Reply to
Joe

Again, so what? If you don't like it don't read it. If you want to whine about it, get ready for responses. And btw, why do you continue to top post if it's so horrible?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

I agree. Every day I commute to work and back, I see at least several nut jobs weaving in and out of traffic (mostly in wannabe ricemobiles) doing 15-20mph above what everybody else is doing. These idiots will be doing their thing regardless of the speed limit. And of course, there are always the moron 2-wheelers who drive down the line in between lanes. The other day I almost saw one get taken out because a car changed lanes right in front of him.

The bottom line though, is that I really don't care anymore what the speed limit is. Unless I'm speeding to blend in with everybody else, I'll obey it simply because I don't want any points. And so what if I get to my destination 10 minutes later? It certainly isn't going to kill me...

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:F snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Some laws suck, but they're still laws. You have a choice. Either obey them or risk the consequences.

I honestly don't know and don't care. It's not an issue.

So what's your point?

Here's the deal that you and a lot of others are missing: If you don't like laws and insist on breaking them, go right ahead and take the risk that comes with it. And since you're doing your own thing, don't whine about the fact that the laws exist - you're ignoring them anyway. You've got no basis for complaining.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:F_adnZhhB- Sgi snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Another newsflash: There aren't enough cops to enforce the speed limit, whether it's for money or safety. There will _always_ be more speeders and wreckless drivers than police to catch them.

Reply to
Joe

Why is this still going on..!!!

Garth I dont know how you have your news set up..

But all three of the readers I use have the threads nested.

Now given that some dont know how to edit replies|replies|replies|.... ad nauseum... WHY IN HE!! do I have to scroll down through everything I read in the previous post?

And do it over and over again!

Your position makes sense in the old days of text readers...IT MAKES NO sense today. I used text readers then, I use modern ones today

If the post I'm replying to is short then I'll bottom post... otherwise I will be kind and assume that the reader got the previous and doesnt want to read it again.. and usually I edit to the specific point I'm replying to... But I sure aint going to bottom post unless there's a reason for it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My grandfather was a conscientious objector, he made wine and ran a still for his own consumption. He shared the fruits of his labor with his friends. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they paid him to defray his expenses. Sounds a lot like old man Kennedy (Joseph), right? Nope, that's not us.

Reply to
John

I use the "blend into the pack" method for determining my speed too. If I'm out in the open and the road isn't wide open giving the cops no place to hide then I stay about 5-7 mph over the limit. You're right about the risk of a ticket not being worth arriving to your destination a few minutes ahead of schedule.

It is funny how cars > I agree. Every day I commute to work and back, I see at least several

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Personally, I could care less, if BrentP or anyone else wants to exceed the posted limits and/or violate any other traffic laws. UNTIL Their conduct infringes upon the rights and safety of others.

Want to kill yourself, be my guest. Want to take some poor family of five with you, no way. And it doesn't take much for one idiot who thinks they have it under total control 100% of the time, to lose it over a wayward deer suddenly appearing on the turnpike, or suffer a blown tire, or have someone pulling a trailer cut you off because they are not aware of how much distance they really take up. As I'm sure most know, in some parts of the country, the weather can be perfectly clear, and then suddenly you're in a torrential downpour, a sand or dust or snow storm, or valley fog. One car brakes because they lost visibility, and that 75mph driver plows right into them. Anyone recall what the record for a chain collision is or how many died?

The traffic laws are not there simply to restrict you. They are there for the welfare and safety of all users. As I recall, they are called "public" roadways, meaning they are there for everyone's use.

Break the law if you want. If you get cited, points assessed, a fine, increased insurance rates, don't whine. You knew the risk and you took it upon yourself.

And, if you are the cause, and we're picking up the body parts of children who had no choice in the matter of whether you sped or their parents obeyed the, law... you better hope to hell you died at the scene. It's easy for the BrentPs of the world to whine about having laws to obey which they think stupid... but they are never the ones who have to pick up the pieces of broken bodies of innocents.

As for BrentP, if it's so bad here, and so good in Germany, leave. Surrender your citizenship, and leave. And be welcome back when you have a passport from you new native land, and a visa to visit this land of the " police state" which you seem to detest so much. You won't go though. You'll just whine. Why is it so many who live here run this nation down, and do nothing constructive to improve it? Why is it they run the country down and refuse to abandoned it? Why do so many every year try, legally or illegally, to immigrate to here? I hear you can get some good deals on airfare right now.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Yeah, what he said!

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

You don't seem to understand how things work. You don't care. It's all about your ease of doing things, just like most top posters. Just push the work on other people.

And it seems you have a inability to read and pay attention. I start top posting in threads about top posting. Because it's the best way to demonstrate my points.

Reply to
Brent P

The day before it got cold again. Tuesday.

I don't give in so easily. I also am capable of out performing most drivers in city/suburban traffic. In other words, the cars in front of me slow me down. Drivers may pass me mid-block, but I will usually stay on the same light cycle as them for miles on end.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I understand very well how things work. What you don't seem to understand is how things _don't_ work.

Bingo! Give the man a cigar.

After all, it's only USENET.

Dude, if you had read, you'd have seen that I top post to other people's top posting. I bottom post to other people's bottom posts. I'm flexible.

It seems that way because _you_ aren't reading and paying attention.

LOL! Whatever. As you said above, I really don't give a rat's ass.

Reply to
Joe

Exactly. Great post, Spike.

"Deputy Dog" wrote in news:BlUae.3352$yc.2864@trnddc04:

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This speaks volumes about you, Brent. You equate giving in to being outperformed on the street.

One more newsflash: Laws exist to protect most people from the likes of you. Given your attitude you portray in here, you're downright dangerous on the street.

Reply to
Joe

Considerable difference from the law is the law mantra.

Prohibitionists still exist, and they are still out there trying to tell other people what they may consume. Drug prohibition has never ended. Or maybe you don't care because you don't drink or do drugs. It doesn't bother you when the thing that is banned is something you don't have. They aren't coming for you today.

My point is obvious for anyone with the intelligence of the average house cat. There are so many laws that they are selectively enforced and nobody can get through the day without breaking them.

I hope someone starts punishing you for every law you break everyday. Including the ones you don't know about. Then, maybe, you'll grow a bit of a clue.

Reply to
Brent P

Yep. Most of the construction zones can support 60+mph traffic safely when nobody is around. And that's when I normally drive them, when nobody is around. On weekdays, traffic will naturally slow to below 45mph.

Exactly. And in IL, there will be a piece of blocked off 100 ft of shoulder with no workers at night on a sunday and the construction zone speed limit is valid and may be enforced.

Reply to
Brent P