Two kinds of idiots

I've spent almost seven years driving in Germany and through most of Europe. The Europeans are much more disciplined drivers than what is seen in the US. Germans can take a tag number and report a violation to the police. With a witness or two, an offender can (and will, in many cases) be cited.

Reply to
John H

Maybe it starts with much tougher driving tests and not granting licenses to every idiot that wants one?

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Brent... While there is much you promote with which I disagree, there is much I do agree with. However, I do not hold with the concept, right or wrong, that the United States should be like anyone else. Our history is nothing like the Euros, and my Aussie friends have all voiced the same feelings about their home. Nor do I expect the Euros to be like us.

More than anyth>>

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

like i care

fagboy

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

So you're not going to address the points I made.

Our constitution dictates a system more like Germany's that one we have.

How are the concepts of liberty supported by a system of arbitary rule on the roads? I am for two simple things.

1) Drive such that one's impact on others is minimal. 2) That speed limits be set by the 85th percentile method, and derestriction on rural limited access highways. (such as interstates)

This is what is compatible with the concepts of liberty outlined by constitution of the united states of america. Germany is simply the example that shows it works and is safer than what we presently have. What we presently have is wrong on every level.

We have a system of arbitary speed limits that are nearly universally ignored. How is that compatible with a government that is supposed to be by the people for the people? It seems to be a government _OVER_ the people. And that's always the excuse used to defend under posted speed limits, that elected officals just know better than the people they rule over.

Nice face saving comment.

No, this subject is settled by DATA. It's an engineering question, and the data is on my side.

I'll never understand what it is to be someone who collects tax revenue at the side of the road with a gun. I'll never understand the unquestioning, following orders mentality that every cop I've had any meaningful discussion with has. I'll never understand how so someone who does police work has so little understanding of the constitution of this nation, so little understanding of the beliefs that brought it about, and views more like those of a police state.

Police are on the front lines of taking away the liberty of the people. I don't trust their masters (government), so why should I trust those that follow the orders blindly?

Reply to
Brent P

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

You're still going on about this? Oh, well. Hope the rest of your week is better for you. You need to lighten up or you'll end up with ulcers and an early grave. I hope we don't travel in the same neighborhood. If my difference of opinion gets you this wound up, I'd hate to think what you might do if I accidentally cut you off in traffic.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

More attempts at face saving. *yawn*

Reply to
Brent P

Well, you wasted enough of my time and yours with your attitude.Try to have a nice day. If your mind wasn't so closed, you might have learned something.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

You didn't put forth one bit of true information. Just the usual cop bluster of 'the law is the law, I'm just following orders, obey me'.

That's great for a police state, but the USA isn't one officially.... yet.

Reply to
Brent P

You know, I had some respect for your opinion, whether I agreed or not, I now just feel sorry for you. You don't like law enforcement officers, and that's OK. It's your right in a free society. However, if you ever get into a bind, I wonder who you will call. I also wonder at someone who cites liberty and the Constitution and then refuses to accept that someone else has a different opinion. That sounds as if you have forgotten what they are all about. Yes you can quote them, but you obviously do not feel them. They are just lifeless tools to you. To me they are the life of the nation.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:16:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote something wonderfully witty:

I beg to differ, been strip-searched at the Airport yet? I think it is the next step. I'm about ready to start traveling naked just so I don't have to take off my belt & shoes. What a freakin hassle, first it was no nail files, now it is no lighters. What's next? No carry-on items at all?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

You haven't been arguing from 'authority', top posting and ignoring my points that is not respect.

Never wrote that. I don't like the way police work is presently practiced.

Well, I've learned that calling the cops is useless.

I accept you have a different opinion, it's simply wrong and you haven't supported it.

Not by what you've written here.

Reply to
Brent P

That's why I stated 'officially' :) Unofficially, we are already living in a police state. From the airports to the checkpoints on the roads, to the monitoring of internet traffic, and so on. It's just not bad enough yet for the sheeple to notice.

And yes, I don't feel like going to my cousin's wedding. Why? Not the cost of the flight, the hassle. (can't drive, there's some ocean in the way)

Reply to
Brent P

I heard someone suggest exactly that last week, that everyone should be required to fly naked. Not only would it reduce the number of places someone could hide a weapon, it would have the added benefit of deterring any religious extremists. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I have a friend whose house I go to a fair bit. Before getting to his house, you go down a steep hill. When you enter the street to go down the hill, it appears you haven't changed the speed zone. In fact, just past a street at the bottom of the hill is a sign indicating the speed limit has changed from 36mph to 24mph. Almost everytime I go there, the is a cop, parked with radar squirreled away in the side street. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I have never heard of ANY accidents on that street. As far as I'm concerned, this bozo, who is earning $60,000 a year to sit with his radar gun is a BLIGHT on society.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

And we thank you fer yer support.- Bartels and Jaymes

Reply to
66 6F HCS

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:14:03 -0400, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

Where the hell do the have a 36mph & 24mph speed limit?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Because someone top posts that makes them disrespectful?

I think it makes it easier to read the comment wiithout having to sort through the whole post.

"Back in the day" top posting was considered a no-no, times have changed. You may as well get used to it.

Kate

"Brent P" wrote | You haven't been arguing from 'authority', top posting and ignoring my | points that is not respect. |

*snipped for clarity*
Reply to
SVTKate