Two kinds of idiots

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:jvSdnciQq8-zt snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Esoteric bullshit.

You sound like a '70s rebel without a cause.

I'll repeat: So what the hell are you whining about? Either work to change those laws or break them. Whining and not doing anything is just plain whining. You sound like a freakin' kid who can't get his way.

Dude, you really need to wake up.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's unbelieveable that neither of you realize the possible dangers of going through a construction zone whether workers are present or not. Common sense alone dictates caution when passing through any kind of construction site, whether it's in a car or on foot. You guys sound just like 16-year olds who just got their license.

Reply to
Joe

I don't. Period. end of story. Lots of people pass me, but I keep right except to pass so it's a non-issue unless I am below the average speed of traffic, as in the construction zones. However, when I want the same courtsey, and it doesn't happen, people like you call me a reckless speeder and other nonsense. It's simply that you lack a rational arguement so it's easier to try and attack me personally.

5mph speed limits all the time then!

A speed limit does protect against idiotcy.

The speed limit doesn't protect me from idiots. The speed limit is the only thing that is enforced to any large degree. Speed limits being set to below the normal speed of traffic have caused an errosion of respect for all other aspects of the vehicle code. Meanwhile, the mantra of speed kills goes on. Any idiotcy is ok, so long as you do it slowly.

Why don't cops stomp out lack of turn signal usage? Cutting people off? failure to keep right except to pass? Proper use of turn lanes? Shoulder passing? Acceleration lane passing? Why not? Why is only speeding enforced on any consistant mass basis?

So when is the _REST_ of the vehicle code going to be enforced to the degree speeding is? If speeding were the end all of safety based vehicle code enforcement as we are told it is then, the autobahn data wouldn't show speed to be irrelevant. _AND_ fines for speeding in the USA would be in the thousands of dollars if not jail time. No, instead, they sit just below what it costs most people to fight the tickets. So it's most _PROFITABLE_.

Start enforcing the _REST_ of the vehicle code besides speeding and then that way, people won't end up in each other's path so often. When they aren't intruding into each other's path, speed becomes irrelevant. That's the secret to road safety.

It's not speed that kills, it's idiotcy. It's that _OTHER_ part of the vehicle code you fail to enforce.

I was driving the speed limit again today. I had people tailgating me and flipping me off. I drive a lot slower than you think I do. I simply realize how idiotic the policies of road safety are in this nation and how safety is being used as an excuse to line pockets with money. How emotion is used instead of logic. I have hard data, studies, and logic on my side. Speed kills has massaged statistics, emotional pleas, and of course attacks on the character of anyone who challenges it's beliefs.

It's simple. If the posted limits in the USA are so well set, and exceeding them so dangerous, make speeding 1 year in prison, MINIMUM. Do it and do it now. If it's about safety that's what you should do. If it's not about safety, but about money, then the status quo is what you want.

The sure sign you have no rational arguement. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT. Sorry, I'd rather work towards getting the USA first in the world road safety again. The first step is to end the speed-kills-religion and replace it with disciplined driving.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A typical paranoid response. Goes right along with the whining about all the laws you don't like.

Want to see lame? Have a good look in the mirror.

You've shown nothing that indicates you're even capable of a debate. All you've been doing is whining.

Reply to
Joe

So you are doing character attack by strawman. Lame. When you can handle actual debate, let me know.

Reply to
Brent P

But joan claybrook et al believe that forcing faster traffic to weave through was -safer- because it made them go slower.

I don't believe that, but that's the tennet of lane blocking in the speed kills religion.

See the following chart:

I like to base my risk assement on actual data than warm fuzzy feelings.

I've experimented with various travel speeds and concluded that this chart matches well with my experience. I've nearly been killed on more than one occasion because I was following the speed limit that was severely underposted. Our lady of blessed acceleration is what saved me.

Reply to
Brent P

Make a speeding conviction a prison sentance and there won't need to be.

There are very few truely reckless drivers. There are lots of wreckless drivers. Note the difference. Why you'd want punish drivers for not having wrecks, I have no idea.

Reply to
Brent P

You don't seem to understand the problem wrt liberty here. You can choose to disobey the law and be a violator. Or you chould choose to obey the law and be a suspected criminal. I find it remarkable that this catch 22 is perfectly acceptable to you. I suppose that's because you've never been pulled over when you haven't violated any aspect of the vehicle code. I have, on more than one occasion.

IF that is the case, then they are failing miserably. Time to try something else. Or make the punishment considerably more harsh. If it was about safety, the fine shouldn't be so low. It should be high enough that it would be worth fighiting a speeding ticket.

Reply to
Brent P

The more people that understand the problem, the better chance we have at avoiding tyranny. Sadly, too many are incapable of understanding what is going on. They won't care until the state comes for them, then it will be too late.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:5aydnYLlnJEPr snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Brent, has anybody told you that you're paranoid?

It's only a catch-22 to you.

It's all part of living in a country with laws. Sounds like you need to be on your own desert island.

Consider how things would be if they didn't exist.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but you're well into three figures and possibly four if you're speeding far above the posted limit on a highway, not to mention points. Forget it if you get nabbed for racing.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Brent, you need to make up your mind. First, you say you're against the laws. Now you want to send speeders to jail. Schizo or what?

In addition to being schizo, now you're not even making sense.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I like to base my risk assesment on actual experience rather than old charts off a website.

So take the bus.

Reply to
Joe

Glad you finally get it.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:FPKdnbk8gcfzq snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

posts.

attention.

Reply to
Joe

That explains a lot.

Reply to
Brent P

You have trouble with the english language that's for sure. There is no statement of equilvence there. There are two separate statements. The separation of these statements is made clear with the word 'also'. In addition to, not equal to. I don't give in so easily in that I don't quit riding because of other people. But that's easier for me because I _also_ out perform most drivers when I am using a _bicycle_.

You don't seem to grasp that, I'm on a bicycle, they are in their cars. I can turn and accelerate better on a _bicycle_ than they do with their cars. You know what a bicycle is right? A two wheeled, human propelled vehicle. What do you think I put out? a 1/4 hp?

Oh yeah... my 35mph top speed on bicycle is such a threat. I'll wager I commit fewer moving violations than you do. I am not talking being caught, but actual moving violations. See, I pay a great deal of attention to that other part of the vehicle code that doesn't have to do with speed. I even signal turns and lane changes when using a bicycle.

Reply to
Brent P

Either you are demanding obedence to all laws or just obeying ones we feel like and dealing with the consquences. These are two very different things. One is just blind obedence, the other indicates that acts of protest etc are quite possible. And that's just a start.

Once again you go for the low road of character attack. There are lots of things I don't do that I am willing to fight for the right of people to choose to do them or not do them. Because I believe in liberty. Rather than your self centered view of not worrying about something until it impacts you personally.

I haven't had a local government try to take my property to give to a developer yet. However I still oppose the practice. I'll never do any kind of drugs, but I oppose telling other people what substances they may or may not consume. I'll never carry around $10,000 in cash, but I'll fight for people's right to do so if they wish, without the government being able to take it on mere suspicion of illegal activity.

You don't want to read my posts, you can simply kill file me. It's really easy in most news-readers these days. However, I will choose to get the word out any way I can as to what is occuring. I'll try to fill that void of people not being taught what liberty really is. Something missing in your education from your posts. Your character attack on me contains a great deal of projection about yourself. You don't care unless it effects you directly. You think I am paranoid nut for caring about the liberty of others being impacted. I can only wish that someday, that it does effect you, then you might understand my point.

I am awake. It is you that is asleep. Nice fat, sleepy sheeple.

Reply to
Brent P

It's unbelievable that you don't understand the possible dangers of kicking someone in the head.

There are various levels of construction zones. Some I won't want to go more than 35mph through, and they are posted at 45mph. Others, are posted at 45mph, yet have zero impact on the road surface or anything near it.

For instance, the shoulder work I mentioned. It's 3am on an IL interstate. all regular lanes are open, same normal road surface, there is a few feet of shoulder blocked off with cones. There are no holes in it. Just some cones off the side of the road and a 45mph construction zone speed limit.

Do you think that the speed limit on an interstate should drop to 45mph if a car is parked on the shoulder?

The parked car on the shoulder is more of a hazard than these 'construction' sites.

Reply to
Brent P

Same deal, character attack. Can't deal with things in the realm of ideas.

*yawn*

I've put forth many a logical, reasoned arguement. Thus far I am the only person to present cites supporting my statements. Let me know when you get around to something above name calling and other nonsense methods.

Reply to
Brent P

Trust you police department, they're your friend. They will only punish bad guys. Have you read about the cops in NY recently?

Your trust in authority is unfounded. I merely believe as the founders of this nation did. You'd rather trust in authority. I hope that authority is used against you unfairly so you'll understand.

You do have problems with the english language.

Sounds like you need to be on board a ufo with the greys giving you an anal probe.

No speed limits? things would probably be considerably better. The truely reckless drivers would still be that way, everybody else would be the way they are, except those affraid of enforcement would likely go a tad faster and lane blocking would decrease.

No, make 1mph over jail time with multi thousand dollar fines. Not just for street racers and people doing a 100 over the limit. But regular old speeding as being discussed. If it's such a safety issue, it should be jail time.

Reply to
Brent P

You have a problem with the context and the english language. Go get some adult education courses at the local HS under your belt.

Read the paragraph of yours I was responding to. wreckless and reckless. You wrote 'wreckless'.

Reply to
Brent P