Visit to the Ford Dealer

If they would sell them at MSRP I would buy one yesterday. If they insist on allowing their stealership network to continue gouging their customers, this life long Ford guy (I bleed Ford Blue) will be driving a Z06 Coverlet Corvette instead of a Ford Mustang GT500.
My Names Nobody wrote:

The dealers are just out to fleece those first buyers that are too dumb to wait for the price to drop. I too am a loyal Ford customer but I won't be gouged of a GT500. There are too many cars that are better this it for $50k+. The price will drop if they build as many of them as they have said. My real gripe with Ford will be if they don't build the stated quantity. If they do and there are enough buyers to keep the price up then I guess it is just a popular car. I think they have made the three year production run high enough to drop the price - so far so good. If they go back on their word to us loyal Mustang buyers then I may be done with Ford for good.

Based on what I've been reading, I hope Ford will still be selling vehicles next year.
A bit of hyperbole perhaps, but I think you get the point...
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:44:38 +0000, Joe wrote:

I hear ya' and I am one of those people that will just walk away from the price gougers and laugh all the way to the bank.
However, it seems like it is happening all over the place.
The Japs simply won't deal on price at all, not that I care because I would never own a Jap car.
Pontiac is playing the same game with the Solstice (sp?). They laughed at me when I walked into a dealer and asked to test drive one. Same deal with Saturn Sky.
And BTW when the Saturn Sky Turbo/supercharged wtf it is comes out later this year, the fools who paid way over list on the current models will be kicking themselves.
I simply won't buy a car that is "in demand" so to speak. That's for suckers and people with lot's of money to burn, collectors.
I stopped by a Dodge lot today and they seem to be offering up "employee pricing" on all cars and there are some serious discounts. I personally don't like the Charger, but a hemi equipped model listing for 28k going for 20k and change looked like a very nice deal to me.
My wife likes Minivans (Caravans to be exact), I hate them........ However the price is reasonable compared to Honda etc. A fairly well loaded Grand Caravan was going for around 21k or so.
Joe wrote:

Ford, GM and DC are really in a bind right now. They are paying the price for shoving SUVs down our throats and ignoring the car market. I don't see the price of gas going lower and, if anything, it will go higher for the next several years. Now where will most of the ex SUV owners go for their new fuel efficient cars? I'll give you one guess... Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc. Look for the domestic makers market share to erode further in the coming years.
Plus, I'm not sure if it really matters much what brand we buy. Hell, Toyotas' probably have more domestic content than cars from Ford or GM. I see Ford/GM management and the unions just whistling past the graveyard. When it comes to their vehicle lineup, Ford is like the NBA and NFL is with players. They change model names so fast that no one knows what the hell they sell anymore. If someone asked me to name the models of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles I really couldn't tell you half of them. Do you think Toyota has plans to rename the Camry or Honda to rename the Civic or Accord any time soon? They would consider it marketing suicide.
IMO, there was nothing wrong with the Taurus (or Thunderbird) name. It was a great car at one time and the top selling model in the USA for several years. What killed the Taurus was Ford's lack of innovation and engineering toward the car. It had nothing to do with the name. Look at Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc. They continually fixed their cars with every new generation and now reap the benefits of decades of model name recognition. The Corolla was seen as a cheap econobox 20-30 years ago but not anymore. It is a great little car. Aside from the F truck series and the Mustang I can't think of any FMC cars that have any continuous, long term, name recognition. Now aren't the Mustang and F truck series two of their most popular offerings? Hmmmm.... maybe there is a correlation to this after all.
IMO, what is wrong with Ford, GM and the "C" in DC is they need to regain the confidence and trust of the US auto buying public. Personally, I think they offer cars that are very close to what the foreign makers build but they can't market for shit and the dealers practices are further hurting them. Most people don't separate the Ford Dealer from Ford Corporate. If dealers, and Ford, went out of their way to make their buyers happy then they would regain market share. Unfortunately, short term (and short sighted) greed is killing them.

idiots
off
intercooler
it.
$50k
weigh
advertised
be
drop
loyal
guess...

GM.

NBA

the

half

It

and

name

there

Ford

way

Michael, I think you're pretty much right on the money (as usual). The only thing I might comment on is that DC arguably has the strongest lineup right now. As with the other "American" makers, however, they still need to come up with _real_ competition for cars like the Fit, Yaris, etc. not to mention the long-time best sellers like the Camry, Corolla, etc.
BTW, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes from the GM/Renault talks...
Joe wrote:

I was going to add that I thought DC is in the best position to turn things around for themselves. They think outside the box when designing cars and aren't afraid to take a chance. The PT Cruiser, 300M, Crossfire, Viper etc. are cars that Ford or GM wouldn't think of building. Plus, DC has Mercedes' engineering to take from which is a big help to their model line and is why the 300M/Charger is so successful.

I can't see much of anything coming out of it. Renault has no influence here in the US so what is the purpose? GM needs a sit down with the UAW more than Renault. ;)

When Germany's Daimler took over Chrysler and moved the lions share of their production to Mexico, didn't Chrysler cease to be an "American" car maker???
Wait it out.&nbsp; Right now the dealers are busy reeling it the idiots<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; with<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more money than sense.&nbsp; It will continue for another 6-12 months<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; IMO. <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; That is, if Ford's still making them at that point...&nbsp; ;)<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I think they will because even at MSRP they are making a killing off<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the car.&nbsp; EVERYTHING on it is either low tech or already developed<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; under existing models.&nbsp; That includes the heads, blower, intercooler<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and even the rear end is a low cost easy to install solid axle.&nbsp; I<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; bet the GT500 doesn't cost hardly any more than the last Cobra to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; build since they dropped the IRS.&nbsp; I think Ford sees the GT500 as<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; just another Cobra offering with Carrol Shelby's name slapped on it.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&nbsp; In fact, that is probably where the extra cost is from over the<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; last Cobra. :) <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Plus, with the GT going out of production they need a high<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; performance model of some sort and the GT500 is all they have for<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the foreseeable future.&nbsp; Anyway, I WILL NOT pay more than $45k-$50k<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for a loaded convertible GT500.&nbsp; It just won't happen.&nbsp; There are<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; too many better convertibles in the $50k-$65k price range that weigh<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; far less.&nbsp; In fact, Ford advertises "Bold Moves" so why don't they<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do a "bold move" themselves and sell the damn car for the advertised<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; price. <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; If they would sell them at MSRP I would buy one yesterday.&nbsp; If they<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; insist on allowing their stealership network to continue gouging<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; their customers, this life long Ford guy (I bleed Ford Blue) will be<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; driving a Z06 Coverlet Corvette instead of a Ford Mustang GT500. <BR>&gt;&gt; The dealers are just out to fleece those first buyers that are too<BR>&gt;&gt; dumb to wait for the price to drop.&nbsp; I too am a loyal Ford customer<BR>&gt;&gt; but I won't be gouged of a GT500.&nbsp; There are too many cars that are<BR>&gt;&gt; better this it for $50k+.&nbsp; The price will drop if they build as many<BR>&gt;&gt; of them as they have said.&nbsp; My real gripe with Ford will be if they<BR>&gt;&gt; don't build the stated quantity.&nbsp; If they do and there are enough<BR>&gt;&gt; buyers to keep the price up then I guess it is just a popular car.&nbsp; I<BR>&gt;&gt; think they have made the three year production run high enough to drop<BR>&gt;&gt; the price - so far so good.&nbsp; If they go back on their word to us loyal<BR>&gt;&gt; Mustang buyers then I may be done with Ford for good.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Based on what I've been reading, I hope Ford will still be selling <BR>&gt; vehicles next year.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A bit of hyperbole perhaps, but I think you get the point...<BR><BR>Ford, GM and DC are really in a bind right now.&nbsp; They are paying the <BR>price for shoving SUVs down our throats and ignoring the car market.&nbsp; I <BR>don't see the price of gas going lower and, if anything, it will go <BR>higher for the next several years.&nbsp; Now where will most of the ex SUV <BR>owners go for their new fuel efficient cars?&nbsp; I'll give you one guess... <BR>Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc.&nbsp; Look for the domestic makers market share to <BR>erode further in the coming years.<BR><BR>Plus, I'm not sure if it really matters much what brand we buy.&nbsp; Hell, <BR>Toyotas' probably have more domestic content than cars from Ford or GM. <BR>&nbsp; I see Ford/GM management and the unions just whistling past the <BR>graveyard.&nbsp; When it comes to their vehicle lineup, Ford is like the NBA <BR>and NFL is with players.&nbsp; They change model names so fast that no one <BR>knows what the hell they sell anymore.&nbsp; If someone asked me to name the <BR>models of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles I really couldn't tell you half <BR>of them.&nbsp; Do you think Toyota has plans to rename the Camry or Honda to <BR>rename the Civic or Accord any time soon?&nbsp; They would consider it <BR>marketing suicide.<BR><BR>IMO, there was nothing wrong with the Taurus (or Thunderbird) name.&nbsp; It <BR>was a great car at one time and the top selling model in the USA for <BR>several years.&nbsp; What killed the Taurus was Ford's lack of innovation and <BR>engineering toward the car.&nbsp; It had nothing to do with the name.&nbsp; Look <BR>at Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc.&nbsp; They continually fixed their cars with <BR>every new generation and now reap the benefits of decades of model name <BR>recognition.&nbsp; The Corolla was seen as a cheap econobox 20-30 years ago <BR>but not anymore.&nbsp; It is a great little car.&nbsp; Aside from the F truck <BR>series and the Mustang I can't think of any FMC cars that have any <BR>continuous, long term, name recognition.&nbsp; Now aren't the Mustang and F <BR>truck series two of their most popular offerings?&nbsp; Hmmmm.... maybe there <BR>is a correlation to this after all.<BR><BR>IMO, what is wrong with Ford, GM and the "C" in DC is they need to <BR>regain the confidence and trust of the US auto buying public. <BR>Personally, I think they offer cars that are very close to what the <BR>foreign makers build but they can't market for shit and the dealers <BR>practices are further hurting them.&nbsp; Most people don't separate the Ford <BR>Dealer from Ford Corporate.&nbsp; If dealers, and Ford, went out of their way <BR>to make their buyers happy then they would regain market share. <BR>Unfortunately, short term (and short sighted) greed is killing them.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>------------</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Yes. But there is also this perception that foreign cars are better made. This, obviously, is not true. But every time an American model, like Lincoln comes #2 in JD Powers Initial Quality Survey, what do you hear about it?&nbsp; Zip.&nbsp; Americans, and Canadians, (me), are sheep.&nbsp; How else can you justify the sales of the BMW 3-series? It's a pos, but some magazine says it's the cat's ass and people want it. Who wants a Lincoln? And I'm pretty sure in the last JD survey, Ford ranked above BMW and Mercedes. Did you know that?&nbsp; Didn't think so. Blame Ford for that.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Marketing is soooo important. The Americans suck at it and they're already behind the 8-ball.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Brad</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Same here, I bought my first Ford in 1971, A Gran Torino station wagon (UGGGGGH) but it was the "family thing at the time. Since then. Before that I drove GM products, I've driven Fords ever since with no exceptions. On my third Mustang, wiht a Mercury Mountaineer and a F250 HD diesel 4X4 in the garage. All told, it's been close to 30 Fords since '71. Like you, before I let my "pride" get screwed buying a 45K car for 65K, I'll revert to my "pre '71 days" and mosey on over to Southern Chevrolet and talk seriously about Corvette. Might be some "swallowing" going on with the folks that look at me as the "FOAD NUT" at work, but I'll manage that with a smile.
I just simply AIN'T gonna get screwed by any "stealership" regardless of "brand loyalty"
John

Ouch!
Yep, I'm certain some dealerships will be trying to squeeze every penny out of their first GT500s. It's unfortunate, but in a case like this, the suckers are the ones who will determine the market. :(
I saw my first one at a car show at a dealership in Ipswich, MA on friday. NICE! Black hardtop with the stripe delete. It looked absolutely evil. :)
Spoke with the owner, he special ordered it in NH before pricing was even announced, negotiating the price to 5k over invoice. That's pretty encouraging, IMO.
--
John C. (wants a GT500 bad,..but not *that* bad)
'03 Cobra Convt.

I guess I can say this since I have two fords and two volvos (now fords).
BMW 2006 M3 MSRP 50.5K
I think in almost any situation road or track the BMW will keep up with the GT500. That and the Corvette are the GT500's competition. Again I am a Ford owner but the GT500 is just a gussied up Mustang. The corvette is built from the ground up to be a high performance sports car and I imagine the the Motorsport division of BMW is at least as sophisticated as Ford's SVT. For me the Mustang tops out with the Cobra. Probably worth about 33K out the door. But the market will decide.
Howard