1997 Infiniti i30 stereo replacement

Hello, I recently acquired a 1997 Infiniti i30. I am wondering about replacing or upgrading the stereo. FM reception isn't all that good, and the tape player is broken. Most annoying is that since the tape player is busted, it clicks and whirrs for a couple minutes every time I turn on the stereo.

I don't know much about car stereos... is there a "form factor" that I should be looking for as I begin my search for a replacement unit? Any caveats because of the Bose premium sound, like special wires or connectors I need to worry about? Or can I just take it to Circuit City, point at the new stereo I want, and expect it to just work? (Okay, maybe not Circuit City, but you get my drift.)

Thank you.

Reply to
Electron

Take a look at Crutchfield.com. The i30 has a Bose unit so there is some weirdness because of the amplified speakers as well.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Yes, a Bose system requires the Scosche adapter (available at crutchfield for $50) to wire an aftermarket stereo to the Bose speakers and wiring. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the Bose system in it's entirety. The standard form factor is DIN and runs about 2.5" tall by 7" wide, and the mounting bracket codes can be found at Crutchfield.com so you can be sure the bolt holes line up. My Maxima's Bose stereo took up 2 DIN spaces (It's like 4.5" tall by 7" wide) so I installed a single DIN stereo and bought a pop-out storage drawer to fill the other opening. It's a possible job for a home tinkerer and not hard at all for a decent stereo shop. It's MUCH cheaper than trying to buy a new stock replacement.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman