2003 Pathfinder, poor mileage

I've got a 2003 3.5 V6 Pathfinder FWD with about 140,000 miles on it. Its had all it's tune-ups at the dealer and oil every 3000 miles. Over the past few months my gas mileage has dropped from 20mpg to 18 mpg or about 30 miles on a tank.

My dealer says that given the fact that all maintenance is up to date, they really have no idea what may be wrong.

Is anyone here smarter than my dealer? Any suggestions on what to look at? I intend to keep the vehicle for a while.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John McMacken

Original oxygen sensors? I'd start there assuming the plugs are good and correct.

Reply to
JimV

Oops . . . that should be a 2001, not 2003.

Reply to
John McMacken

Yep, original O2 sensors. I'd like to check the plugs, but they are buried somewhere out of sight/reach.

Reply to
John McMacken

Reply to
John Smith

Would I be correct in belieiving that this is not a shade-tree mechanic kind of job?

Thanks, Warren

Reply to
warren