95 Pathfinder with engine light on. Code is 34 "Detonation". Any info?

I have a 95 Pathfinder with 95K miles in very good running condition and had the check engine light come on last night. I checked the code via the diagnostic lamps under the passenger seat and found it has recorded code 34. Service manual says that is for detonation. Further Googling has also related code 34 to the knock sensor.

Any ideas what might be going on? It is close to the next tune up interval. Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing problems with the knock sensor.

Thanks.

Regards,

-- Matt Costanza Austin, Tx USA

Reply to
SkyKid

there must have been another code along with the knock sensor, the knock sensor alone will not turn on the check engine light.

Reply to
NissTech

Nope. I followed the service manual instructions to put the box under the passenger seat in diagnostic mode (mode 3) and counted off three blinks on the red LED and four blinks on the green LED and then you have the pause and it repeats the same code. Mode 1 shows normal (red and green LED on, no blinking).

Any thoughts?

Regards,

-- Matt Costanza Aust> there must have been another code along with the knock sensor, the knock

Reply to
SkyKid

One additional follow up. The service manual actually only references code 34 as detonation. From my google searching, I have seen some references to code 34 as knock sensor related.

So, it may not be related to the knock sensor but since the service manual only says detonation, I don't really have much to go on.

Truck seems to run fine.

Regards,

-- Matt Costanza Aust> there must have been another code along with the knock sensor, the knock

Reply to
SkyKid

Detonation means (in general) that the gas in the cylinder is exploding (detonating) before it is supposed to, are you using the correct grade of fuel for you vehicle (87, 89, 91, 92 octane) ?

Reply to
lj_robins

Yes, the correct grade of fuel has always been used. The engine runs fine (no mis-fire etc). The check engine light actually went out by itself and the diagnostic lamps under the seat now do not show any code. I'm sure the check engine light will come back on. It's time for a tune up anyway so I'm going to be bringing it into the shop I use.

Regards, SK

Reply to
SkyKid