Clutch Replacement on '97 Truck

My clutch is going bad on my old nissan and I am going to replace it myself. Should I replace the Master cylinder and/or the slave cylinder when I replace the clutch? Also, does anyone recommend a clutch kit manufacturer? Advance Auto sells one by a company called Perfection, but I don't know anything about them.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Scudder

If a 4x4, like mine, think twice about DIY. Or delay as long as possible. Due to the cross member/torsion bars/transfer case, it is notoriously difficult. Shouldn't be that bad on a 4x2, however.

Good luck, and be safe!

Reply to
Brian

It is a 4x2, so I hope I will be ok. I was told to go ahead with the slave cylinder if it is inside the clutch housing. I plan to replace it either way.

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Scudder

Parts cost aside, assuming you don't want to do the work twice, I would suggest you stick to an OEM cluth disk and pressure plate replacement (as well as throw-out bearing). Even though labor may be "free" since you are doing it yourself, the last thing you want is to use a auto-parts clutch kit and find yourself with chatter or poor shifting characteristics and then have to do the job again. Of course, if you had a performance vehicle and were looking to put on some more sports-tuned parts, that would be a different scenario altogether.

Whatever you choose, good luck with the project.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 138k njmodi at yahoo dot com
Reply to
njmodi