engine ticking noise 94 PF XE

Hi all , here's my dilemma. My engine ticks, worse when its cold but it never completely goes away. I have changed my oil, ran engine flush thru it to see if those tubes from the oil pan to the top of the engine are clean or not ( no way to verify it) and was looking for additional ideas on what to check for and how to fix it. engine ops fine with no noticeable decrease in power or anything, just don't like unidentified noise Thanks Al

Reply to
simple little news reader

Sounds like a broken exhaust manifold bolt to me. It's only going to get worse.

Reply to
ppointer

Maybe lifters, cam followers, or a bad manifold stud. I'm betting the manafold stud.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

EXHAUST MANIFOLD STUDS!!! The sound will be worse when the engine is cold - the metal will expand as the engine heats up and the gaps between the manifold and head will close a bit. I just rebuilt my exhaust manifold studs last weekend. My mechanic quoted me a price of $550 minimum for both sides. It cost me $70 in parts (gaskets, new studs) and about 8 hours of my time. The manifolds are a tight fit, and may be difficult to get proper drill alignment for the removal of the broken studs. Regardless, my '93 PF XE is now running nice and quiet!

-Craig

Reply to
craig dorroh