Is this crazy ? or what?

Hello all. My girlfriend drove my Pathfinder today and said that the engine stop eunning right when she was making a turn. She panic and tried the brakes, even the emergency brakes but unfortunately she manualy switched the transmission to "P" while the car was running. I think that was a bad idea to suddenly stop the car while running. Now I'm afraid that she damage the transmission. Can anybody pls advise.

Thank you...

Reply to
Oscar

well, there is definately damage the transmission or diff. to what degree depends on how fast she was going. P in auto trans, basically locks the wheels so they will spin in opposite direction, hence, the car won't move. i have never worked on a pathfinder gearbox so can't exactly advise you where it likely to break (coz all gearbox has its weakness)it might be as minor as a heavy wear mark on some clutch plates or a clutch band (which just mean they won't last as long), to broken clutch plates or bands (which should be look as asap).

did you/she drive the car after that. if so, does it feel different? try driv> Hello all.

Reply to
Thomas McMechan

I have seen some transmissions that have a "cogwheel" that receives a matching "bar" that moves into one of the cogs when the tranny is placed in park. The wheel and the bar are robust and hold the car from moving. If the forces are high enough, the bar can be sheared, the bar pivot shaft damaged or the case cracked. Lots of times the cogwheel is in the rear case, slightly isolated from the main case, so if something broke off it might stay away from delicate parts. Either way I would do some serious investigation! Look at a cutaway diagram of your particular tranny.

Reply to
Johnboy