Nissan Quest brake pads

Does anyone have a service manual for a Nissan Quest -- I need to know when they recommend you change front brake pads.

Mine are down to 6mm. They look okay to me, but my dealer told me they must be replaced -- $200. Sounds fishy to me.

Reply to
Martin Lynch

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Martin Lynch) wouldn't STFU about...:

I replaced the front pads on my wife's 2000 Quest for $15.

Just make sure you've got a torx or allen wrench to get the bolts off. Once you do, don't be alarmed about the disc, it slides right off.

Reply to
Faze3

What year ?

Typical limits are about 3mm. Sometimes the rotors get grooved or warped, the pads are oddly worn, etc and you replace earlier.

That's a lot for just pads, but they may be planning on turning the rotors too, replacing the shims, doing the front and rear or just the read, etc. Pads alone at the dealer are probably $80, the shim kit is $20. Depending on the miles, you should flush the system, rebuild the front and rear wheel cyls/capliers, etc.

Tell us some more about year and miles and any problems.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Two questions re: your Quest?

Why don't you just buy your own manual and be done with it? Like the rest of us here? A Haynes Repair Manual is only about $15 at Pep Boys or Autozone...a small price for answering these two questions and more.

I have a Nissan, but not a Nissan Quest, so I can't tell you, but if you do want to work on your own car -- or at least not be a prey animal for the dealership predators -- then get a manual!

John D.

Reply to
John D.

I replaced my Quest at about 60K. Inspected at 45K, but plenty of pad left. Even at 60K, there is plenty of pad left. But I replaced it anyway since I already paid for the pad and I don't want to replace the pad for the next owner. After I replaced the pad, it brakes alot smoother and shorter.

I don't use the van for commuting, so the pad don't wear that fast.

I paid about $80 for the pad from the dealer. Maybe cheper if you ordered on line. I spend about 2 hours to replace the pad. Professional probably takes 1 hour, but they charge $100/hr. If the dealer wants $200 includig parts, then let them do it.

I also loosen the nut to let the brake-fluid drain out (by gravity), but you must watch and fill the reservoir to make sure it is not empty out.

If you don't feel any vibration while braking, do not let the dealer to re-surface your rotor. It's a waste.

If your pad has only 6mm left, what are you waiting for?

Reply to
DTT

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (DTT) wouldn't STFU about...:

Re: Brake fluid.

What I did on my wife's 2000 Quest (and my 2000 Frontier) was simply to remove the cap from the reservoir and put a shop rag in it. When I used the C-clamps to open the calipers, the brake fluid simply backed up to the reservoir and into the rag. This negates the chances of getting any air in the brakeline. Just top it off to the maxfill line and be done with it.

Reply to
Faze3

Because I didnt realize it was that cheap. When I bought the service manual for my Honda Civic, it cost me $80 !

... gonna make a trip to Autozone asap!

Reply to
Martin Lynch

Martin,

Don't misunderstand me: I wasn't saying that the Haynes and Chilton Repair/Service Manuals are AS GOOD AS the expensive authorized factory shop manuals -- they aren't -- but they are MUCH better than the owner's Manuals and for most of us DIY people, they're all we really need.

Good luck,

John D.

Reply to
John D.

If you have replaced brake pad on any car before, you don't need the manual to do the Quest.

But anyway, I placed an order for the Ford Villager instead of the Nissan. It only costs me $96, while Nissan wants $140.

Reply to
DTT

Except to figure out that those two caliper bolts are torx heads.

You also should know that the rears should be adjusted by using the "backup" technique, not by using the manual adjusters.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Why not just get some cheapo pads from Autozone? It's not like this is a high performance car or anything.

Reply to
Me

Cheap part, lifetime warrantee from Autozone... not me. Been there, done that. Time to replace the junk off the car is not worthit.

Reply to
DTT