Nissan Truck Frames Rusting Out -- Common Problem?

This is the bottom line here boys and girls,

NO MATTER WHAT YOU OWN, IF YOU LIVE IN A SALT STATE IT'S GOING TO RUST, TWICE AS FAST AS A NO SALT STATE VEHICLE.

I have a buddy that has a 1992 Pathpuppie that has been in Florida all its life... Not a speck of rust !

Know why ???

It don't snow here !

Reply to
NissTech

No kidding. But that's beside the point.

Strangely enough, I currently own three 1995 vehicles -- a Toyota T100 pickup, a Ford Econoline Van, and the Nissan pickup truck. ALL have been in salt country their whole "lives".

All have been treated the same, with excellent maintenance and regular washings. All are cosmetically and mechanically perfect.

Guess which one is the ONLY one not road-worthy?

Nissan HAS to know this is happening. I've heard from waaaay too many people just from this group to believe otherwise.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 Nissan Pickup

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

You know, it just isn't reasonable that the frame would rust out that fast. Something is not right. Even in salt country, a truck frame should be lasting longer, way too many do. Somewhere, Nissan has dropped the ball. I've spent a good part of my life in salt states and I've seen more than a few trucks used at the beach to drive the dunes and run through the surf. In no case have I ever seen a truck FRAME rust out. Panels, fender wells, fenders, doors by the buttload but never frames. I suppose it can and does happen but it just seems too short a time period for a modern truck to decompose.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Agree 100%.

The only thing I've ever seen quite like this was when my '95 Ford van started leaking oil last summer. The mechanic told me that the oil pan had RUSTED THROUGH from the outside in! Apparently Ford used some substandard metals in the oil pan that rusted easily, after being chipped by the inevitable stones that hit the bottom of the vehicle.

So, even though the oil pan is in a constant oil bath -- from the inside -- it still rusted through, and had to be replaced. The frame, however, is still as strong as a bridge.

Of course, you can replace an oil pan. There's not much can be done with a rotted frame.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 Nissan Pickup

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Reece,

We know you've heard of complete and utter neglect, right.

Reply to
Butch Davis