Possible door only Key on 2005 Altima?

The other day, the keys got locked in the car. I was lucky in that AAA was there within 30 minutes and the weather was nice. Not that I PLAN on it happening again, I wanted to have a key made to work the door that I can put in my wallet. The hardware store made a copy, that fit the door, but didn't turn. I went to the dealer who said that they only made programmable keys.

My question is - is there a computer/key reader in all the doors and trunk as well as the ignition? Or do I just need to try a different hardware store?

Thanks

Reply to
Alan

The hardware store screwed up the copy. Take it back and tell them to try again. Most places will remake the key for you gratis until they get it right.

Reply to
E Meyer

in my 2001 altima, i made a copy of a key and it only opened the doors. it was one of thsoe just plain metial keys without that sutpid plasic. i would reccomend getting three copies, keeping one in your wallet, and a spare just to have around the house. you can take one of your original keys and hide it under the dash close to the ignitiion and use your spare metal key if desired.

Reply to
ryan.aghdam

You just need a different hardware store. I carry one in my wallet for this exact reason, except when I locked mine up, the car was RUNNING - in the middle of a snow storm. Had to get a cab to take me to a dealer to make me a key - in this case, he made just a flat "door only" version.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Thank you - I'll try a different HW store. they were nice enough to allow me to test it BEFORE I paid - so I've zero out of pocket expense thus far.

Willy - what year is your Nissan?

Reply to
Alan

Hi Alan, Altima factory keys have transponders in them that when inserted into the ignition the onboard computer recognizes and allows the engine to start. Also, these keys need to be programmed with both of your remotes at the same time at your dealership for everything to work. The car door lock does not recognize the key electronically, only your ignition. The keys with the transponders will cost around $45.00 and are a dealership only item but you could have a regular key (steel and no transponder) cut so that you can use it to unlock your door only. I hope this was helpful. Please let me know.

Robin

Reply to
NissanSalesRep

Thank you - I will find a different hardware store and try them to make a steel only copy to put in my wallet. The dealer I went to was only going to charge me $25 for a programmed key. Good to know - if I ever need one of those :)

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
Jesse

03 Murano, which is my 13th Nissan.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

This was Massachusetts - if you can believe it. Only cuz Nissan insn't a BigDig contractor - then it'd be $300 :)

Reply to
Alan