When can I safely change gears?

I've driven auto-trans car for a while but only till these days I start trying gear 3 and 2.

I was driving on mountain roads in Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone. Switching from gear D to 3 or 2 will make going up-slope and down- slope much easier.

However I'm not sure whether I can keep doing these while driving without damaging my engine. For example when the car was at 60miles/ hour going down-slope, I switched from gear D to 3 or 2 to get better control of the car. I also sometimes drive at gear 3 for a long time even on straight road at speed 60-65.

Another dumb question is will using lower gear especially for down- slope save the brake? It looks like the speed limit of lower gears can control the car without requiring constant braking.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ryan

Generally, you should move the gear lever when the engine is not under load and when the change to a lower gear will not over-rev the engine.

Compression braking through the restriction of the shift pattern of an automatic may be advisable in cases where the brakes may overheat; steep mountain roads may well be a case where it is warranted. Your brakes are cheaper than your transmission but, if there is a possibility they may fade to a point of ineffectiveness, staying in lower gears may be a good idea.

You might have a look at your owner's manual and re-read the section on operation of the transmission.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin